Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We Mac users couldn't wait for Apple to roll out the 15" Powerbook. However, I think now the 15" Powerbook is probably the worst thing Apple could have ever rolled out in the history of any Mac product including the Cube.

Never have I seen so many problems with one product such as a laptop from Apple. At first I thought well it is probably just the usual people complaining about little things, man was I ever wrong.

Apple Stores across the US have 15" Powerbooks on display with the "white spot" syndrome, customers are returning their 15" Powerbook not just the 2nd time but 3rd and 4th and still on their 5th Powerbook they still have the "white spot" problem. How could Apple allow this to happen?

The worst part is, it is a wide spread issue and concern that has never been seen or heard of in such thousands of posts world wide all over the internet. Like I said, people will complain, but this is just out of hand.

Why won't Apple address the issue? Wouldn't it be great if Steve Jobs made an announcement explaining that they are working on the problem and that they apologize for the white spots? What about stopping shipment all together until the problem is fixed? So many people are surprised that Apple continues to ship these 15" Powerbooks with white spots.

I was so excited to see the 15" Powerbooks, I was going to buy one. Now I will have to wait until Apple comes out with some news on the issue of the white spots. It is a lot of money to spend on a product that will be ruined after a few days, after many repairs or swapping for a new one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave,

It seems that one owner has a problem with their 17" Powerbook. That is the first of its kind that I have heard. The rest of those links are discussions on the 15" Powerbook.

The 17" Powerbook has a great screen, better battery life then the 15" etc... I just don't know what happened to the sweet spot of the 15" Powerbook which at one time was a hot item for Apple.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I just don't know what happened to the sweet spot of the 15" Powerbook which at one time was a hot item for Apple.
It unfortunately has the potential to completely ruin the
second hand market for these Powerbooks.
I can imagine the future questions that will be asked to
the sellers and even if Apple does come up with either
a fix or a complete recall with a viable solution, There
will always be the lingering questions:

Did the Powerbook ever show signs of white spots?

Did you send it in for the mandatory (Future) recall?

Another possible problem...Besides the obvious heat
issue...Could be that the LCD screens weren't packed
correctly, Or the LCD screens were made by an inferior
manufacturer, Or even a reputable manufacturer...That
didn't realize that the combination of heat combined
with the thinness of the LCD backing could cause
defects to appear in the LCD.

In anycase...I love my Lombard a lot more after reading
about the Non Retro-Powerbooks. (Sounds like a story)

I think that the best solution will end up in better heat
shielding or better ventilation for the processor,
Perhaps thinner isn't better...Make the display thicker
with a cavity in the back of the LCD for heat dissipation.

Reminds me of an article/idea that I wrote to Apple
about heat dissipation, The idea was iSnorkle©2003,
It was a snorkle idea for heat dissipation for the iBooks
and the Powerbooks.

It was ignored of course...Oh well.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Worst PowerBook? Are you serious? Have you already forgotten about the PowerBook 5300 which had the slightly more serious problem of BURSTING INTO FLAMES?

I think I'll take a new AlBook any day.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Worst PowerBook? Are you serious? Have you already forgotten about the PowerBook 5300 which had the slightly more serious problem of BURSTING INTO FLAMES?
Yes...But that was an issue that was dealt with by Apple
and surprisingly is still being talked about:

Apple discussions Powerbook 190/5300

I think that the Apple fufillment plan has concluded just
recently, I can't seem to find a trace of that program on
their web site anymore.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just because it was "dealt with" doesn't mean that it wasn't still the worst portable.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I would say the Wallstreet G3's were the worst and the original Ti G4's a close second.

I think the 17" is a joke, but I don't really see anything wrong with it, although this comes from someone who thinks his 14" is to damn big.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Just because it was "dealt with" doesn't mean that it wasn't still the worst portable.
Granted it was the worst portable, But this LCD problem
is something that needs to be addressed as quickly as
possible by Apple before it becomes a serious problem.

I wonder what it'll take to fix this problem...It's something
that could potentially make Apple lose a lot of major
sales in the future if they don't find a fix quickly.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I had a Powerbook, 400 MZ/284 RAM that I bought new in 1999 for $5,100 and change. It had the CD/DVD drive, but no burner for either. In 2001, it overheated and caught fire. I did not have Applecare, but I complained long and loud to Apple about it. In the end, with the help of HiTech in Grande Prairie where I bought it, Apple agreed to repair it at their cost. WestWorld in Edmonton rebuilt it at a cost of $3,000. I gave it to my daughter, who is a teacher, when I bought an iBook. She has used it to this day, trouble free, but I never trusted that machine again. But it does seem odd to me that the 12.1" Powerbooks are so good and the 15" so bad. One would think they should be nearly identical in terms of everything but the screen size. Or am I wrong in assuming this?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I suspect that it is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
(64MB DDR) video card in the 15" & 17" Powerbooks.
The 12" Powerbooks have the NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go 5200 (32MB DDR).

It's only a suspicion at the moment...But perhaps the
added heat and poor heat dissipation of the ATI
Mobility Radeon 9600 (64MB DDR) Video cards are
the root of the problem.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I guess nobody here has tried to carry around the original apple "luggable?"

gotta be the worst

apple engineers refused to used screws in the shell and so added an huge amount of weight to the shell since it snapped together.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
What about the pink screen on the pismo?
I think that has an effect on resale.
(Everyone asks if the screen is pink on startup)
Not the worst laptop but it is the same problem as
the white sots. Probably a bad batch of screens.
I would still buy one as it is a better design than previous versions. I hate the hinge on the Tibooks.
Robert

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey don't get me wrong, once the issues are fixed and dealt with I'm picking myself up a 15" Powerbook. However, I didn't think the 15" Powerbooks would have as many problems as they do at this time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts