Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
If they take the iPhone , triple the dimensions, add at least one USB port, and leave a dock connector, and use a next generation mobile CPU and you have something.
If it uses the real Mac OS and not just iPHone that would be even better or at lest improve the iPhone OS to let it run IWork and be able to edit and view documents easily.
Maybe a larger virtual Keyboard will be easier to use.
Indeed he next version of rhe ARMCPu , one up from the current iPhone is looking very good, and would be able to run just all you want in terms of a mobile multi media tablet computer.

Oh and the comment by Intel about how he current tom is ahead of the current ARM is silly, the ATOM is unsuitable for phone now, due to the power drain.
I guess if we time travelled back to 2005, I would be impressed with the ATOM.
But this is JUly,2009 and the world has moved on, and the current NetBooks don't even play movies as well as the Iphone.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
RUMOUR AND SPECULATION.

As recently as LAST WEEK, Apple denied any interest in a netbook. Listen to the conference call yourself if you don't believe me, it's available on Apple's site.

Will Apple perhaps someday (maybe even soon) make a device that incorporates some of the things netbook users like? Quite possibly. Will it be a netbook as seen on the market today? Pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you Chas, I don't think that they will release a netbook either. What I got from the article was that it would be a tablet which is in whole different category. It looks like it's a really big iPod Touch with 3G. In my past experience when Appleinsider has a story that sounds like a rumor that make it known in the article that it is just a rumor (to cover their butts incase they are wrong) but this article did not say that which would lead me to believe that they must have a very reliable source. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
RUMOUR AND SPECULATION.

As recently as LAST WEEK, Apple denied any interest in a netbook. Listen to the conference call yourself if you don't believe me, it's available on Apple's site.

Will Apple perhaps someday (maybe even soon) make a device that incorporates some of the things netbook users like? Quite possibly. Will it be a netbook as seen on the market today? Pretty unlikely.
Apple already makes the BEST netbook - it is called the MacBook Air! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
The Macbook Air does not compete very well in the netbook market.

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I don't think it's a rumour that Apple bought somewhere around 1 million 10" touchscreens a few months back....not hard to connect those dots.....:rolleyes:

Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens, fueling netbook and e-reader rumors : Obsessable Technology News

AppleInsider | Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens for mystery product

Yeah I don't think it takes alot to connect the dots. We've seen the patents that Apple has already taken out for tablet computers.

Throw in what you say about ordering the touchscreens and stir well with the comments that Apple has taken the bloat out of Leopard with the upcoming Snow Leopard release and what have you got...

A tablet would be the next great thing. Small like a netbook but more compact because it wouldn't need a keyboard. What would make this really clever is if Apple
made a dock that doubled as a stand turning the tablet into a monitor and with built in bluetooth or other wireless technology allowed for the seamless hookup of a standard keyboard and mouse

If it came in at the price point they are quoting then that would put this device at the high end of netbook pricing but with better technologies.

And I don't think netbooks are a fad either based on the sales figures that Laptop magazine was quoting in their July issues editorial (which I can't find online yet).

Update: Apple still thinks netbooks stink

Are netbooks a technology that has staying power in the marketplace, even as the economy improves? The answer is yes, according to a panel of top executives : Dealerscope

Jobs isn't a dummy so what's the best way for Apple to enter a market it says it won't enter.... redefine it...

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I'm hoping apple eventually comes out with a tablet, but ONLY if it has wacom pressure sensitivity built in so i can use it as a digital sketchpad.

then i'd finally be able to ditch my windows tablet....

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
The Macbook Air does not compete very well in the netbook market.
No, but the iPhone does. And for half the cost, too! (with a 3 year plan, of course)

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
What if Apple wants $799 US , $899 Can and with tax nearly a grand??
Im not sure it would compete, even if it was wonderful.
IM thinking 699 US, 799 Can is the highest I would certainly go for an Apple tablet, even though some Windows tablets go for well over a thousand, Im not buying those either.

·
Registered
605 Posts
... forget the netbook, here's a tablet portable FINALLY DONE RIGHT. That's what I'd like to see.
+2. A tablet-style Mac wouldn't personally benefit me; so I don't think I'd buy one, at least not for serious use. But I would really like to feel the awe that I typically do when Apple releases something amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
What if Apple wants $799 US , $899 Can and with tax nearly a grand??
Im not sure it would compete, even if it was wonderful.
IM thinking 699 US, 799 Can is the highest I would certainly go for an Apple tablet, even though some Windows tablets go for well over a thousand, Im not buying those either.
True. But it's difficult to gauge how rabid Apple fans are. I mean the original iPhone was $599, and it flew off the shelves. MacBooks are probably 50% + more expensive than their PC counterparts, yet they continue to sell.

That said, the MacBook Air probably could have been a greater 'hit'. We wouldn't be clamouring as much for that Mac Netbook if the MBA were cheaper.

If Apple had a real concern over pricing of any new tablet, I suspect they may go subsidize it with the various Telcos. Maybe then, will it be available at the $500 or so range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Apple Tablet is definitely going to kick butt. Forget Netbooks or whatever category you want to throw at it, it's going to create it's own nice niche. I'm already saving up for it! :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
MacNetBook

I agree. And, I think I have the second best netbook the MBP 13. The netbook market was fueled by price more than size. We've seen the screens get larger, yet processing power is much the same. If netbooks were only about convenience, then any 12 or 13 inch 'puter would be better than a 1.6 ATOM powered machine.

·
Premium Member
10,367 Posts
I know I am a bit late wading in this thread...but I have a question on the Tablet. What "good" are they and why would you want one. I have never seen one in the stores...but I have used my Palm. I thought it would be a good idea for meetings....it was a pain to write on the thing. so I got one with a keyboard.

That, too, was a problem. To me, that is what the Mac Air is for, light carrying, good display computing. Other than looking cool [ as does the Air ] do they serve any real purpose....or will they just be a big palm with one looking for a keyboard and such....?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I always thought that it might be useful to graphic designers and other photoshop users. Why get a wacom tablet when your computer is a tablet? Maybe people just want it for the aesthetic purposes?

I understand what you mean, though, Rps. The 100% touchscreen thing never worked for me: I've always found it frustrating. That's why I got a Blackberry Bold and not an iPhone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.