Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another comparison. For those of you using Apple's latest LCDs have you found the quality to be equal (mayber better?) to good quality CRT monitors? I suppose you've justified the purchase somehow because you own one, but what I'd like to know is what was it that made your decision to buy the LCD monitor?

Alternatively, (except the price difference if that was your primary reason) what made other users buy the CRT over the LCD?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Well, I never did any hands-on comparisons myself, I just went with word-of-mouth, but anyway...
I have stuck with CRTs partly because many people comment that LCD refresh rate is not fast enough to keep up with 3D games. Also the price vs. picture quality (except for geometric distortion) is supposed to be significantly better.
I use a 21" Samsung 1100p+.
One thing I am wondering is: which kind of monitor lasts longer?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Uh-oh.... ;) LCD and CRT camps gathering their troops... :D

My short 2¢ is that I'd never go back to CRT. Soo much easier on the eyes. (Never get headaches I always got with CRT). Such a crisp, sharp, goergous colour. 1/10th the size as CRT monsters.

Whole thing about LCD's not being colour accurate is so bogus. 1 our of maybe 1000 people actually get into colour calibrating their monitors anyways. As long as you are working in the proper colour space within Photoshop etc.. you'll have accurate colour.

"Certified color. All-digital technology means you get consistent color from edge-to-edge as well as color consistency over time. Apple flat panel displays are immune to heat, humidity and electromagnetic fields that can cause color changes to a CRT. And while Apple displays leave the factory at tuned to perform out-of-the-box, you can use calibration devices such as the GretagMacbeth Eye-One to create a custom ColorSync profile. This gives you the peace of mind that an Apple display will integrate perfectly into your color workflow, ensuring accurate color from screen to print.

In fact, Apple Cinema Displays were chosen by ICS, Inc., for their Remote Director 2.0 system, which is the first display based soft proofing system to be SWOP certified. The prestigious SWOP certification means you can use the system to approve press production jobs onscreen without the need for hard-copy proofs. "

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
I find the picture quality of the LCDs to be awesome, but can't personally justify the cost. I use a 21" monitor and have a really hard time going back to small monitors, given that I wear bi-focals (no, I'm not blind) and my comfortable distance is about 2 feet away from the monitor and I like the print to be easy to read, while still being able to have a full page view. So, my best bang for the buck is a good large CRT (I have NO trouble with headaches). Do we know yet what the life expectancy of LCDs will be? That would be an important factor in the value equation. (there are lots of 12+ year old CRTs still going strong)

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ehMax:
Soo much easier on the eyes. (Never get headaches I always got with CRT).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! I never knew that. That's enough to swing me over to LCD right there. Those two hour UT matches are hard on the ol'peepers, eh Mayor McCheese? ;)

Keep those "in the real world" reviews comin'. I'm also curious of the expected longevity of the two monitor styles.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, I like my 'Clear Rear' Studio Display. :D

Originally when I bought my DP 1GHz, I had a AppleVision 1710av, and a generic monitor. I had the choice to buy either a CRT (the Clear Rear) and a LCD, the only one Apple had was the 15" and being a developer, 1024 x 768 wasn't enough screen space. Besides that, I foolishly walked into Computer City trying to buy a new monitor. What a dreadful experience. Good riddance that they're gone!

But... Now that there's that glorious 20" Cinema Display, my Studio Display will be moved to my Cube, replacing the generic monitor its got.

I'll keep the AppleVision 17" monitor as it's got my speakers - and a second monitor (of any type) is great when doing development.

John

·
Registered
590 Posts
I myself use a 17" CRT. The only reason I use a CRT is cause its cheap. And I to get headaches if I stare at this thing to long. But I much prefer LCD displays. The are much easier to look at and have are way sharper. There is also a wieght issue. My 17 CRT was as much as a small child and is slow breaking my desk. If you look at the middle of my desk it looks as though a shallow river valley is forming. I have used my friends computer, he has dual 17 LCD displays, and they are very nice and sharp and don't hurt my eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It seems my beliefs about slow LCDs are somewhat out of date. I stand corrected!

I can say personally, size does matter a lot of the time. Easier to copy and paste text, select groups of files. Monitor more things at once. Have more tools in front of you. More accurate selection of troops in Starcraft and Warcraft III - it really improved my game. I must say Apple's LCDs are tempting because of the widescreen format. Width is a bit more important, for DVDs, and keeping all those tools windows on the side.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ehMax:
Soo much easier on the eyes. (Never get headaches I always got with CRT).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

That can occur because the refresh rate is set too low on your CRT. I have found that I can see the flickering of 60 and 75, but that 85 was fine for me. As long as my CRT was at 85, I would not get headaches.

Also, if you consider seeing an eye doctor (no pun intended) she may be able to help you out. That is to say, some users may simply need glasses to 'correct' their vision so that staring at the monitor all day won't give them headaches. Also, consider taking a break every now and then.

James

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Also, consider taking a break every now and then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No rest for the wicked. ;) I'm actually one of those guys who wishes he could wear glasses and goes to the eye doctor quite often.

I find with my LCD can work all day and never have a problem. I also edit a lot of videos, watch DVD's on LCD and don't know what people are talking about low refresh. If anything I could say negative, is that dark colours (close to black) seem to look better on CRT's to me.

But as in all things regarding personal preference.... Its my personal preference. I've been beside someone who thought the LCD I was looking at was blurry. While someone else looks at it and says its amazingly sharp.

I don't like my LCD... I LOVE IT. Could never, ever use CRT on a regular basis. My eyes love LCD

·
Registered
223 Posts
Right now I'm using 2 19" CRT monitors, but I'd love to move up to a couple 17" or 20.1" LCDs for a couple reasons:

1) I have an electrical problem that causes my monitors to vibrate sometimes. Luckily I don't have to deal with too much text, but still. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see how I'd have the same problem with LCDs. Its an expensive workaround, I know, but it looks like a guaranteed one.

2) Working with audio, colour and the "speed" of the display are not important to me. I might dabble with a little video work - but nothing professional enough for me to be that picky.

3) Most importantly, space! As you can see here, my monitors severely limit my usable space on my main desktop. I also wouldn't mind moving to a resolution greater than 1024x768.

(So if a certain regular on this board were to package a G4 dual 800 and a couple Apple LCDs together in about 10-12 months I'd be VERY happy. What up doc?) :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just a quick input of my two cents....I tend to suffer from migraines and I could not use my desktop computer for more than an hour at a time. I now have the new 17inch iMac and I have yet to suffer from the same ailment. I have since heard from my opthamolagist that LCD screens do not refresh like CRT thus NO HEADACHES.

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bjornbro:
but what I'd like to know is what was it that made your decision to buy the LCD monitor?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't yet have one at home, but I have spent enough time with them to know that an LCD monitor is on my priority list for purchase.

I have wanted to get rid of the CRT's in my studio for years now.

I won't miss:

- the magnetic field
- the stray rays (did your mom warn you not to sit too close to the TV? There's a good reason!)
- the flicker
- the excess heat
- the size and the weight

Once the CRT's are gone I'll be able to put a plant on my desk, or something! :_)

Cheroots,

G/<

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
For most desktop users, a 17" CRT is nearly ideal; it's size and weight are manageable and they are inexpensive.

As for image quality, it's hard to argue a CRT is deficent in this area. However, it is strange that about 90% of CRTs sold are el-cheapo units with marginal image quality to begin with, you have to wonder why people even bring it up.

I spent the extra hundred bucks for a good 17", but at some places it's even hard to find a good monitor for sale.

20" and larger CRTs are a different story. They are huge and heavy, and quality monitors in this range are not inexpensive. The new 20" Apple display compares favorably with CRTs and comes at a price premium that is closer to 50% than the 200% it was just a year ago. I have to say my crystal ball says that bigger LCDs are going to take this market by storm.

Screen speed is becoming less of an issue; 25uS or less is common now and some are getting 10uS, which is the point where it's a non-issue. So, if there are images which can tax a screen today, it's not going to be that way for long (and it's debatable if current ones can't keep up).

So, in my humble opinion the 17" CRT is going to be around a while, and some might even put up with a 19" model, but LCDs are going to replace bigger monitors on the desktop.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Here's a little iMovie I quick put together called Your Brain on LCD.

Footage of eMac CRT beside iMac LCD. Camcorder picks up CRT's subtle "Brain Waves". Video is about 5 MB. (Had to save at high fps to get all the waves)

Enjoy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts