Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iPod is a great example of what bugs me about Apple. Now, I love my Mac but I'd like to give the folks at Apple HQ a good shake.

First, is the lack of Windows compatibility. This is a great product and Apple could make a lot of money selling these to Windows users. But, it won't be Windows compatible until the new year, which means Apple skips the Christmas season. A lot of people are going to get MP3 players for Christmas and won't be in the market for a new one come January or February. Stupid move.

Oh, and I don't think releasing this for Mac first is going to cause anyone to buy a new Mac just so they can use an MP3 player.

The other problem is the lack of support for anything other than Firewire. Great, so even among Mac users if you have a machine without firewire, your out of luck.

My machine is only 2 years old and an iPod is out of reach for me. There are millions of Mac users out there with pre-firewire iMacs and other older machines out there who are automatically eliminated as potential customers for this device.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Yes and no, Obsidian. To me the big issue is not the firewire connectivity. I suspect that if one is an avid MP3 user, one would be finding an excuse to upgrade to a firewire equipped computer, anyway, just to have a faster interface with which to burn CDs. I am sure there are some people (such as yourself) ;) gnashing their teeth because they don't have firewire, but many of these good folk probably couldn't afford $600 for the iPod anyway.

I think not making it Windows compatible from the get-go was probably a smart thing to do. Let's face it, any new or greatly repackaged technology like this will have a certain number of bugs and other teething problems. Mac users tend to be a bit more forgiving of them in Apple products, and will probably even help devise fixes. A few months from now, after Wintel PC makers wake up and start building in firewire, and after the teething problems have been dealt with, I can see Apple releasing a v.2 iPod to tap that market.

At this point, I feel the iPod is a niche product. It looks slick, but there are a lot of us out here who just don't "get it". I don't dismiss its potential or its attractiveness, but I don't feel a need to carry 5 Gigs worth of tunes around with me all the time. A few cassettes and CDs suit me when I travel. But then, I'm not the target for this product. Yes, Apple may miss out on some of the Christmas spending frenzy, but given the economic slowdown in North America this year, it might not be as big a loss as one might think. Besides, maybe this will prompt some clever manufacturer to devise an add-on firewire port for recent Macs which lack this feature!
Me, I'll wait and see if it's worth sticking a firewire port on my PM7600, if I ever "get" MP3s! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I agree that the iPod is fine. As for "incompatibilities", well it is practically a synonym for "computer".
I don't think it is for everybody; it is just another commodity product. Choice is good.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Hi all! I'm new to this forum and will be submitting some personal info in the "new members" area in due course.

On the topic of this thread, I wanted to draw your attention to an article that my dear old mom ran across at Yahoo.ca today. She has recently (well, over a year ago) become an avid Mac lover since I convinced her to purchase her beloved B&W G3. Not bad for a 78 year old woman, eh? Anyway, here's the link - the author appears to be more open minded to the future of the iPod. And, I tend to agree.

iPod expandability?

Thanks for "listening" and I hope to be "talking" with you folks a lot more in the future!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I think the iPod represents everything I love about Apple!! ;)

I'm really confused as to why anyone would be concerned about a product that Apple makes that didn't work on windows? :confused:

I use a Mac. I could care less if the iPod worked on a Windows machine or not. We all use Macs hear. (I'm assuming) Why would we care if it worked on a Windows machine? Is it because we won't be content unless Apple makes more money on the iPod? Will doing all the cool things that the iPod does be less fulfilling on our Mac knowing that Apple could be selling more iPods?

And why on earth would Apple put USB on the iPod? :confused: :confused: That would be defeating the whole purpose!!!!!!!!! FireWire is one of the biggest reasons why the iPod is so cool! Its why it can be used as an external drive. Its why it can transfer music so fast. Its why it can charge the batter directly from the computer.

Apple has sold millions of FireWire based Macs and many that don't can be upgraded to have FireWire.

G

·
Let's not bitch and moan about Apple's product strategies. We don't run the company. iPod is iCool and demonstrates Apple's technical advantages. It's not for everyone but why should Apple bow to the lowest common denominator to please everyone? My feeling is that iPod will do more to FireWire sales than DV camcorders. It will seal the fate of USB 2.0 and will be one more compelling factor that influences decisions about which computer to buy. Not for all, but definately for some.

Apple will not make money by expanding its 5% share at the low end. Apple is not about lowest common denominators and kludges. For that, I'd recommend Dell, Gateway and Micron. Apple isn't elitist either. It's simply providing a quality alternative.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I played with an iPod at the Apple Store in Tyson's Corner, VA last weekend, and I was very impressed! It produces a nice sound out of the headphones, has a solid feel, a crisp display, a smooth spin-wheel -- and it attracts fingerprints as much as my wife's new iBook, but that's the price of beauty!

I'm thinking that I'd be more interested in a full-sized 100GB firewire HD, and replacing my Palm IIIx with a new Sony Clié that can play MP3s. But I realize that the combination would cost twice as much and be way more bulky, so I appreciate the elegance of iPod!

When I eventually upgrade my Toshiba laptop (for work), it will be to one of the several models that have built-in Firewire, so I'd be happy to see a PC-compatible iPod.

A guy in the Apple store said that only Apple's firewire has AC power through the cord (unlike Sony's i.Link). I hadn't heard that before. But I tend to listen to iTunes on OS X on my iMac anyway, so I'm iPod-ready!

G

·
It's true. Sony i.Link has a smaller four pin connector which is neater than Apples 6 pin plug but provides no power. That means that you have to have a separate power supply/adaptor for i.Link peripherals. The convenience of just plugging in a bus-powered firewire drive to a Mac compared to having to lug around a power supply and plug it in is often overlooked in the PC world.

Sony has recently jumped onto the USB 2.0 bandwagon (even though it helped develop the FireWire standard). Does USB 2.0 provide power?

·
Registered
7 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris:
Yes and no, Obsidian. To me the big issue is not the firewire connectivity. I suspect that if one is an avid MP3 user, one would be finding an excuse to upgrade to a firewire equipped computer, anyway, just to have a faster interface with which to burn CDs. I am sure there are some people (such as yourself) ;) gnashing their teeth because they don't have firewire, but many of these good folk probably couldn't afford $600 for the iPod anyway.

I think not making it Windows compatible from the get-go was probably a smart thing to do. Let's face it, any new or greatly repackaged technology like this will have a certain number of bugs and other teething problems. Mac users tend to be a bit more forgiving of them in Apple products, and will probably even help devise fixes. A few months from now, after Wintel PC makers wake up and start building in firewire, and after the teething problems have been dealt with, I can see Apple releasing a v.2 iPod to tap that market.

At this point, I feel the iPod is a niche product. It looks slick, but there are a lot of us out here who just don't "get it". I don't dismiss its potential or its attractiveness, but I don't feel a need to carry 5 Gigs worth of tunes around with me all the time. A few cassettes and CDs suit me when I travel. But then, I'm not the target for this product. Yes, Apple may miss out on some of the Christmas spending frenzy, but given the economic slowdown in North America this year, it might not be as big a loss as one might think. Besides, maybe this will prompt some clever manufacturer to devise an add-on firewire port for recent Macs which lack this feature!
Me, I'll wait and see if it's worth sticking a firewire port on my PM7600, if I ever "get" MP3s! ;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts