Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who saw the iMac LCD (CD-RW) drop from $1999 to $1849 on the Canada store website last week? It's now back up to $1999.

And in case you're wondering, no, I'm not hallucinating - I saved the page as a PDF to send to a friend... it definitely happened, for, like, 24 hours or something.

Guess I missed the "window of opportunity" to get in my order....

M.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I saw that too.

Is that Apple Canada's idea of a two-day sale or something?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
So what? At $1,849.00 CDN it's still more expensive than buying it from the states, paying the rate of exchange and smuggling it accross the border. ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
No need to smuggle. There is no duty on electronic and computer gear per NAFTA. If you order a hard drive or memory in the US, it is shipped across the border with no duty (you will owe PST and GST though).

The problem is that you can order systems via mail order from the US. If you buy one down there though (aside from covering the PST/GST) you can walk it across the border duty free. Natch, avoiding the $450 charge for taxes might be enough to encourage a bit of smuggling however

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the Apple Canada pricing yo-yo drops again...

Oct. 29th: base LCD iMac is $1849 again...

And since those of us 'way over on the east coast don't have a nearby border to walk across, unlike you centre-of-the-universians, this is probably the best deal we'll get for awhile...

:D
M

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Hey Mark...it's not just the "center of the universians" that are close to the USA. You could hit the border with a frisbee from where I am writing this. It's the next island over, and a fifteen minute speedboat ride away. Across calm waters. And there are very few RCMP boats or US border patrols to bother you.

So...uh...you need something compadre? All strictly legal, of course (cough cough) :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks MacNutt, but I do need to clear a little more space on the plastic first :D

Besides, I'll probably order from the Apple Education store, which has an even lower price...

M.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Interesting note, at work I was checking some products in our system, and the 15" CDRW iMac is listed as Discontinued.

That doesnt however mean that Apple has disco'ed it, just that we are not carrying it anymore as an in stock item, but it is a good indicator of demand for a unit. Considering that the eMac has a combo drive for 150$ less, it isn't that suprising that the demand for the low end iMac has dried up.

--PB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts