Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Isn't this old news.... Adobe killed the development for Premiere. Apple wants to catch the defectors before they switch to PC's to follow Premiere.

Not really that exciting.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Well since Adobe dropped Mac Support in their new version of Premiere (see this thread http://www.ehmac.ca/cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003607#000000 ), I don't think there is much of a fight really - if you're on a Mac and you want to use software that's going to be kept up to date, it looks like Final Cut Express or Pro is it. Sounds like Adobe didn't even put up a fight.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Yes,
Adobe can be a royal pain in the lower back.
I used Pagemill up until last year and when I
looked up Adobe support for it after updating
my O.S., I found that Pagemill isn't supported
anymore...They only have Windows support
now. (Although...I don't build web pages
anymore anyways)

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Yes,
Adobe can be a royal pain in the lower back.
I used Pagemill up until last year and when I
looked up Adobe support for it after updating
my O.S., I found that Pagemill isn't supported
anymore...They only have Windows support
now. (Although...I don't build web pages
anymore anyways)
I was a big fan of PageMill, I downloaded a copy of Version 1 when downloading was the only way it was available. For its day, it was a pretty remarkable piece of software.

However, time moves on. PageMill is pretty primitive if you stack it up beside GoLive or DreamWeaver. I think we should just let it rest in peace - it's been replaced by better stuff.

In a way, Adobe's acquisition of GoLive to replace PageMill was like Apple's acquisition of NeXT OS to be developed into OS X. In both cases, the current solution wasn't keeping up with the competition, it wasn't practical to update, and there was no time to start over from scratch. The solution in both cases was to pull out the chequebook and buy an existing company that had a solution with more potential. Seems to have worked out.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Adobe's decision to drop Premiere came from a logical, if somewhat saddening view that the Mac version of Premiere is just not going to be a viable and profitable product. Apple's offering is just much better and the Mac platform, no matter how beloved, is just not big enough to keep profits from this product.

This won't be affecting other products, however. I can assure Photoshop 8, for example, will have an Aqua-esque version when it is eventually released.

It was a money decison. Plain and simple.

Pagemill has long since been replaced in OS X by GoLive.

Just like PageMaker is really a legacy product which is superceded by InDesign. Even though both have a similar purpose.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I sent in an old install floppy for Premiere 2 that I had laying around. I bought it on ebay for about $2 to use with my Quadra 840av...

Getting Final Cut Express for free will be alright...

Anybody else taking Apple up on their offer?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
what a slick move Rob... i love it. :D

H!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts