Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With little/no updates in a LONG time, AppleInsider believes the MacMini was a bastard-child product just released as shareholder appeasement. They also think that Apple's going to kill it sooner rather than later. (Plus - could a variant of the AppleTV be the Mini's Successor?)

Thoughts?

It seems like Minis are in pretty high demand in the Used Forums here, and everytime there's talk of updates, people are always wondering when the Mini will get updated -- will people here be pissed or care at all if the Mini is discontinued?

I got a CoreSolo MacMini hooked up to my Living Room TV as a HTPC and I gotta say I love it. It's fast and plays everything I throw at it. I think the Minis are cool as hell, but generally overpriced compared to iMacs/etc...

EDIT: I just thought of something else -- There's also rumour that Apple is going to discontinue the iMac 17" -- only going with a 20" and 24" lineup. So... is Apple pretty much abandoning the Lower-end Desktop market? Laptops make up at least 50% of Apple's sales (maybe 60%? -- forget where I found that statistic) so is Apple concentrating on Laptops for Consumers and Higher-end desktops for ProSumers/Pros?

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
This is a rumour, but if it happens I would think it is a mistake.
I don't want an all in one. The mac pro is out of my price range.
The mini I own has been fantastic.
Time will tell.

A new Mini, the Mini Pro featuring a graphics card that is upgradable, and one additional PCIe slot would shut me up and make me happy.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
EDIT: I just thought of something else -- There's also rumour that Apple is going to discontinue the iMac 17" -- only going with a 20" and 24" lineup. So... is Apple pretty much abandoning the Lower-end Desktop market? Laptops make up at least 50% of Apple's sales (maybe 60%? -- forget where I found that statistic) so is Apple concentrating on Laptops for Consumers and Higher-end desktops for ProSumers/Pros?
Not going to happen... Apple will always have a 17" or low-end iMac for the education channel. Sometimes rumors don't come true, no matter how much they're spread.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Not going to happen... Apple will always have a 17" or low-end iMac for the education channel. Sometimes rumors don't come true, no matter how much they're spread.
Yeah - but if it's for the educational channel only like the eMac was originally - how is that helping the average PC person to switch?

Most switchers I have dealt with are going for the 17-inch iMac, the rest for the Mini. very few want to make a major financial commitment to go to a higher end mac until they are comfortable they like it.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Perhaps it's for the better. No offense to Mac Mini owneres, but to me it was always a crippled machine for lack of dedicated graphics. It, like the MacBook still perform admirably, but dollar for dollar, the iMac was the better value.

And for those such as myself who pinned for a headless low end Mac, could this be a precursor? If Apple is to forgo the low end arena, could we once again see a somewhat affordable tower? Remember when you could get one for roughly $1500?

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Hi,

The mini should be replaced. The Nano Pro?

I couldn't talk my father, my girlfriend's father, or a buddy into buying a Mac because they weren't conviced with the all in one design of the iMac and the perceived limitations of the mini.

Just release the mid tower already...

s.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
I think you're on the right track.

I can see Steve Jobs announcing that Apple will release a new, smaller version of the Mac mini. It will be iPod sized, and he'll pull it from his jeans pocket during a staged announcement.

The Nano Pro indeed.

Hi,

The mini should be replaced. The Nano Pro?

I couldn't talk my father, my girlfriend's father, or a buddy into buying a Mac because they weren't conviced with the all in one design of the iMac and the perceived limitations of the mini.

Just release the mid tower already...

s.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A pocket sized mac mini? While that would be cool for a lot of reasons, it would look really weird with all of those cables running out of it... power, network, keyboard, mouse, video, digital camera, printer... out of an ipod sized device? It would need some super serious crazy wireless support but even then eh...

But I know you're just joking.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Hmmm.... when I was working tech support I found the pocket drive much more useful than the laptops I lugged around. A mini on a necklace would certainly be the best of both worlds.:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm hoping that the rumour is just fluff. I'm planning to buy a Mac mini to use as a home media center. I've been holding off buying because it's been so long since the last update.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
I've sold a few PC users on the idea of switching to the Mini since they already had monitors etc and the investment was small so I'm not sure its such a wise idea to kill the mini.

As for the 17" going away I'm not surprised as no one I know is buying 17" monitors these days and if they can drop the price of the 20" to the 17's price (or there abouts) it won't matter.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also switched my Parents based on a used Mini that I bought off of ehMac.

*If* Apple were to get rid of the Mini (which who knows... 'cause it's only a *rumour* that they might be) I hope they'll at least put something in it's place.

As for the 17" going away I'm not surprised as no one I know is buying 17" monitors these days and if they can drop the price of the 20" to the 17's price (or there abouts) it won't matter.
I think you've hit it on the Head. Then the only problem would be Education sales, as they want smaller footprint computers like the 17" (though I've seen a lab of 20" iMac G5s and it looks Glorious!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The Nano Pro indeed.
A joke, maybe, but intriguing nonetheless.

I doubt they'd get rid of the mini because of low margins. Currently, the minis are way over-priced, so the margin must be pretty good on the few they are selling. I'd love to see a redesigned mini that acts as a low-end tower. It would meet my needs perfectly. But I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm hoping that the rumour is just fluff. I'm planning to buy a Mac mini to use as a home media center. I've been holding off buying because it's been so long since the last update.
Me too... If the Mac Mini is upgraded to include wireless 'N', then consider me a customer. I also wish to use one as a home media center.

Cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i really hope the mini doesn't go out... as a representative for the poor student sect... i'd have to say that it's nice that there's a mac we can actually afford. I am saving up for a macbook pro, however, the mini has served me well for over a year now, and i do hope they aren't cancelling them, they're quite great little machines!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.