Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to retire my faithful and trusted iMac G4 and replace it with a Macbook Pro.
I never purchased Applecare with my iMac and as it turned out, never regretted that decision. However, based on the fact that notebooks are more prone to being knocked around and damaged, I am considering getting Applecare this time.
So here are my questions:
1. When should I buy Applecare? I read that I should wait until just before the standard 1 year warranty is up before I purchase it.

2. Where should I buy Applecare? It seems that you can buy it from resellers online or eBay sellers for a cheaper price than from Apple directly.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you're going to buy it on ebay, give yourself enough time (4-6 weeks) to find the right deal, sometimes there are Applecare "droughts" on ebay. I've bought 3 of my 4 Applecare plans off ebay with great success. The last time I paid $49 for a Powermac plan, saving more than a couple of hundred. Some sellers have a complete retail package (box, cd's, etc) others will send you an activation code. Be sure to check the sellers feedback carefully.

I'm looking to retire my faithful and trusted iMac G4 and replace it with a Macbook Pro.
I never purchased Applecare with my iMac and as it turned out, never regretted that decision. However, based on the fact that notebooks are more prone to being knocked around and damaged, I am considering getting Applecare this time.
1. When should I buy Applecare? I read that I should wait until just before the standard 1 year warranty is up before I purchase it.

2. Where should I buy Applecare? It seems that you can buy it from resellers online or eBay sellers for a cheaper price than from Apple directly.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Remember that AppleCare does not cover accidental damage or abuse of any kind.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Purchase it right away so you do not forget.

If you have more questions visit your local friendly Apple reseller and they will answer all your questions.

You may use it, or you may not.... but you will enjoy
3 years worth of worry free computing.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

Don't wait, or you might miss out on it by a day or a week. Some have. The benefits of Applecare start right away, if you buy it as soon as you buy your Mac. It gives you extended phone support.

Buy it where-ever you can find it the cheapest, but be careful with eBay.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I have bought 2 on e bay without any problems. However, one has to ensure that the seller has good feedback

Cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
Why is it that you can buy Applecare for different prices? That doesn't make sense to me. I don't think other stores do that...though I'm not 100% sure. Are we not buying it from Apple?

Thx,
m

1 - 12 of 12 Posts