Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how it works to transfer applecare? Anyone here every done it?

I am buying an ibook and it apparently has about a year and a half left on the applecare (the serial number was looked up and it said has applecare until june 2005).

Now when I receive the book how do I go about getting it put in my name? Do I need any of the previous owners info? receipts? anything?

This ibook has been through a couple of peoples hands by the sound of it so I think any connection to receipts/buyer info, is long gone.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I could be wrong here, but I think once Applecare is paid for, it is registered by Apple via the serial number of the computer. After that, they don't care who owns it. A claim simply requires the serial number of the machine in your possesion and any Apple dealer can confirm that before making the claim. I say this since trading my iBook in on a Powerbook last month, did not require me to submit any proof of the year's Applecare that was left on the machine.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok great. thanks guys

Should it be registered under my name when I get it though? (or rather my parents name since it is a gift for them)

I got the box from ebay that you suggested moonsocket. too bad. I would have preferred to pick up Ron's :(

Oh well. As long as I get a box out of it
Thanks again for the link.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
No names necessary Pamela. If anything goes wrong, take it to an authorized Apple repair centre. They submit the serial number to Apple who confirm the warranty and then they fix it. All your parents need to know is the expiry date of the Applecare.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! Thanks Sinc!

You guys are all so quick with the answers! I love it!

Hopefully my parents won't need to use applecare! :D
*knock on wood*

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
For the record, you can make the transfer of the A/C from the previous owner to current etc... That was done when I bought my last 2 Pismos. Both times, the owner just called the 1 800 # and made the change right there. They had my address and all, and I received the paperwork from Apple. It outlined all/any repairs which were done under A/C. I would do it for clarity.

H!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts