Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a bit of an adventure with my Macbook Pro and the AppleCare program and wanted others opinions.

So my poor Macbook Pro has been in for many repairs, the most recent has been its logicboard, since it wouldn't even boot.

I live in Red Deer AB so the closest Apple Store is in Calgary and/or Edmonton, I choose Calgary.

Took it there the day after if failed. I asked what the likeliness of a replacement was. The Genius said he didn't make that call but would tag it for consideration.

That was last Tuesday...its now the following Wednesday. I was told it should be fixed by today. But since I was impatient yesterday I called to see what its ETA would be. I was informed that I would be getting a replacement. Its an early 2008 15 inch MBP.

I had someone in Calgary call today since I was told it should be good in the next day or two. But apparently they could no longer find my repair on their list....was told then that I would get a call when I got a Call....my problem is. The last time I had it in for repairs, I NEVER got this "call". I keep checking the online repair status. But I am getting concerned that my computer has been forgotten.

So my questions are A) anyone ever have a computer replaced? and if so how long did it take to come in?

and B) how likely am I to be getting a current model? and if so, why do they have to order it?

Oh I also called the 1-800 number to see if they could tell me. She said that the store called me on Friday to tell me I would be getting a replacement....Never got this call.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
AppleCare question

Gee, Kyra, sounds like you qualify....

basically the speed of repairs is affected by a few things-how busy they are and how soon they can get the parts. I had a G5 replaced after a few hairy repairs, and that took a long time....first I had to provide my documentation, send it in, call various folks, call 'em again about a week later, etc... and then I had to haul the old G5
to a UPS depot, shipping label was included, so luckily it didn't cost me a dime....
I waited about a few weeks, and had to call again, because the dumbass ups person got hung up on my address. I put it down as I 106, but he/she couldn't find the "I "
when it was printed on the front of the building. They didn't even try that hard...
:mad::ptptptptp so-I had to get a ride from a friend to get the new one from the main UPS depot way out and gone:mad: But....after fixing my address, I eventually got my new machine...but it was a pain in the can. My advice to you-be polite, be patient, and call once in a while. Have faith and eventually Apple will come through-they ALWAYS do, in my experience....
oh, and make a little stink now and again-keep 'em on their toes a little bit...

that's all I have for now
and don't expect the latest and greatest Mac--you'll get the approximate equivalent from Apple's current lineup...you got a mid grade machine, then that's kinda what you'll be getting as a replacement...

John B

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Replacements are done with new, current models of equivalent performance, though you can request equivalent value (i.e. you bought a mid range machine, it gets replaced with mid range). My replacements have all shipped from Ontario, but the orders are processed through the online Apple Store - but that won't apply to a Genius bar repair. Genius bar replacements are usually from store stock.

Any AppleCare remaining will be refunded to you upon request on a pro-rated basis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to call the store again tomorrow. Hope someone can give me some answers.

and thats for the Tips on the Machine, both of you. I dont think I was hoping for a 17 inch or anything. I was just afraid they would give me a 13 inch, since they didn't have 13 inche MBP when I bought mine. (dont think at least).
I think I was just hoping for a computer with thunderbolt and a graphics card that isn't built into the motherboard.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If they give you any trouble call 1-800-MY-APPLE, they (Apple Store Vancouver) gave me the run around once for a optical drive repair and called in and they sent a tech to my house and gave me a free set of Bose Speakers

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
you can also usually use the value of your equivalent model in credit to trade up to a better machine if you want

ie, if you had a base model 15" from 2008 it would be replaced with a base 15" from now (value $1849). if you wanted a matte screen you would pay the difference ($150). if you wanted to trade up to a high end 15" thats $2249 you would pay the difference ($400) and so on and so forth.

thats usually how it works with phone in replacements anyway...i dont know..in store might be different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They sometimes will do what they call a CRU. Thats when they order a refurbished or custom built model from the factory. That's only done if they are still manufacturing or refurbishing your model, which I don't think is the case for a 2008 model. If they are CRUing it, it could take a couple of weeks though. They do that for replacements of engraved iPods, or custom ordered (upgraded CPU, matte display, etc).
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts