Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the apple.ca site for the past couple of weeks playing around the configuration of adding and taking stuff away from the based model macs. I instinctually remember that the APP costing 149.00 Canadian. This morning I went back to check and now I see it is set to $259 Canadian.

Question: Has anyone else noticed this? Or do I need new glasses?

I am quite perturbed now that they jacked the price of their APP. :mad:

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Well I just checked the site and the prices are higher than my last MacWarehouse catalog. The iMac/eMac APP is advertised at $149 in the MacWarehouse catalog and $259 at the Apple Store. The Powerbook has changed quite drastically from $349 to $539.

Is this because of the changes to the APP?

Apple had made some minor changes noted here http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/18.applecare.php

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
Yes, prices have changed. Price change has been attributed to rising costs of components (LCD iMacs etc...) rising telephone infrastructure support costs, foreign exchange costs, and the amount of progams being supported (iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, iDVD, etc...) Plus now the plan covers global support for portables and they will also being promoting onsite service. (This was always available, but they are now promoting it. )

Pretty steep price increase if you ask me. :rolleyes:

·
Canadian By Choice
5,140 Posts
Yes, especially steep compared to the US increases. Maybe its the extra insulation and security checks at the border that's needed for Canadian Macs.... or maybe Canucks make more claims? Nah, we're just being ripped off as usual because we don't complain.

·
Registered
45 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coyote:
Anyone know if the Apple Protection Plan covers the hinges on the new PowerBooks and iBooks or are they still considered a wear and tear component? Regardless, $539 seems like an awful lot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your hinges break, it is because you abused your machine or must have dropped it.

Ron

·
Registered
304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If your hinges break, it is because you abused your machine or must have dropped it.

Ron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure how you can make a blanket statement like that? Are you saying that there has never been, and never will be, a defective hinge manufactured?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Apple was charging the same price for the Apple Care Package in Canada and the US (e.g., $149 CDN and $149 USD). Guess it was only a matter of time before they realized that they were short-chaging themselves by about 60%. Having said that--and this is just speculation on my part--it looks like the price change is really just to corect the $149USD price tag, adjusted to Canadian dollars. Not that it's going to make anyone feel any better about this...

(Added PS - I just came back from BMac and they have confirmed that the US-CDN dollar conversion is the reason for the increase. Bummer.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mackey:
I was looking at the apple.ca site for the past couple of weeks playing around the configuration of adding and taking stuff away from the based model macs. I instinctually remember that the APP costing 149.00 Canadian. This morning I went back to check and now I see it is set to $259 Canadian.

Question: Has anyone else noticed this? Or do I need new glasses?

I am quite perturbed now that they jacked the price of their APP. :mad:
<HR></blockquote>

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hinge failure was pretty common on Wallstreet models. Having said that, I've had no problems with mine, but I've read about many people having their's break because of metal fatigue. Metal fatigue of the hinge mechanism means that the manufacturing materials weren't high enough quality or there is a design flaw that should be remedied as a recall issue. If you bought a car and the door hinges broke, it would be a recall issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kirtland,

I am not saying that there will never be a defective hinge manufactured. I should have been more specific, I had to take off and I was in a hurry to finish my last post.

Coyote says, "If you bought a car and the door hinges broke, it would be a recall issue."
While that is true for cars, it will likely not work the same for the PowerBook.

I know of many hinges that have broke and they were not covered under AppleCare. The reason being…. You must have dropped it. Well, thats what Apple will suggest. How will you prove otherwise? If your hinges crack on your TiBook, Apple cannot change them and will have to replace the whole screen.

I hope this clears things up.

Ron

·
Registered
256 Posts
Anyone know if the Apple Protection Plan covers the hinges on the new PowerBooks and iBooks or are they still considered a wear and tear component? Regardless, $539 seems like an awful lot.

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
Also, if you bought a car and the door hinges broke it would be a life threatening issue. You can;t exactly fall out of a computer while it is speeding down the highway....

But seriously, this has been a long time coming. The AppleCare (especially the iMac/eMac one) has been underpriced for some time. It isn;t exactly out of line with other extended manufacturers warranties either, and is actually a little better than a lot of them.

If it is that big of a deal, see if you can pick up one of the old boxes (like the 149$ one, which some retailers will still have) because the new ones are a totally different SKU, and owners of the previous AppleCare warranties have been grandfathered, as in if you bought the 149$ box last week you get the 259$ features from now on.

--PB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.