Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend called me from an Apple Store today, asking for advice on which model of laptop to purchase, replacing a 2014 MacBook Air that was nearing it's EOL (following liquid damage).

Given his needs and budget, I suggested a late-2018 MacBook Air, now with Retina screen.

Just before checking out, he calls me back to ask about AppleCare. I suggest he wait until the end of the first year, to spread out the cost of his purchase (90 day support is sufficient; it's the hardware we're concerned about these days, with good reason).

Imagine my surprise - that's no longer the way it works. AppleCare's extension to 3 years of coverage must be made within 60 days of purchase now. (AppleCare)

IMHO, Dumb Move, Apple. You've just increased the up-front cost of a new Mac.

I need to upgrade soon, and I honestly don't know where I'm going to find the cash to get the model that I want.... :(

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Another sign of Apple completely losing what we all loved about them before. I always get AppleCare with my computers, needed it a few times and they have paid for themselves. Like you I would wait out the year though to spread the cost out a little. Apple seems to no longer care about their user base and is all about the mighty dollar... which they were making a ton of before this change.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Imagine my surprise - that's no longer the way it works. AppleCare's extension to 3 years of coverage must be made within 60 days of purchase now. (AppleCare)

Thanks for the heads-up warning CM, even though I have hardly ever, and probably never will, again purchase a brand new Mac from Apple other than my first LC model.

I guess I missed the announcement of the change that became effective in 2017 It seems:
PSA: AppleCare+ for Mac and iPhone Must Be Bought Within 60 Days of Purchase
Wednesday June 21, 2017 11:15 am PDT by Juli Clover
All of Apple's AppleCare+ plans for Macs, iPads, and iPhones, must be bought alongside a new device or within 60 days of purchase, according to AppleCare+ support staff that MacRumors spoke to this morning.

Following its Worldwide Developers Conference in June that saw the debut of new iMacs, MacBooks, and MacBook Pro models, Apple introduced an updated AppleCare+ for Mac warranty plan that provides standard AppleCare coverage along with accidental damage coverage.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/21/applecare-plus-mac-iphone-60-day-purchase-limit/

I wonder why It couldn't even have been within or at the end of their 90 days warranty period at least??? Maybe they like to keep it as a surprise for any unsuspecting customer.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay folks - I've had a Twitter exchange with some folks, who say this applies only to AppleCare+... didn't know there was such a thing. They say the 'regular' AppleCare remains as it was... you can purchase until the end of the first year. So - I may have raised your hackles for nothing.

Now... off to investigate what AppleCare+ entails....

EDIT: Jury is still out. Apple's AppleCare page just pushes AppleCare+ ...I see nothing like the old "original" AppleCare that could be extended to 3 years before the end of the 1st year. Anyone with any better info than this?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Okay folks - I've had a Twitter exchange with some folks, who say this applies only to AppleCare+... didn't know there was such a thing. They say the 'regular' AppleCare remains as it was... you can purchase until the end of the first year. So - I may have raised your hackles for nothing.

Now... off to investigate what AppleCare+ entails....

EDIT: Jury is still out. Apple's AppleCare page just pushes AppleCare+ ...I see nothing like the old "original" AppleCare that could be extended to 3 years before the end of the 1st year. Anyone with any better info than this?
Might be for iPhones. My friend mentioned that he had a limited time to add AppleCare for his XS which I was surprised at being used to having a year to add AppleCare. So maybe computers have remained the same but iPhones now have a very limited window.... which makes no sense really, why not just keep everything the same. They have a year of warranty anyways so they are not getting around anything by buying it at the last minute.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Isn't this all about the money?

By changing the deadline forward, if you want Applecare, you have to pony up the dough within 60 days, some three hundred days earlier than the former policy. That means Apple has your cash in their interest-bearing bank account making them more cash, thereby reducing their cost to operate Applecare over those extra 10 months.

Add up Applecare participation worldwide and one can see that becomes millions of dollars in Apple's pocket.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts

By changing the deadline forward, if you want Applecare, you have to pony up the dough within 60 days, some three hundred days earlier than the former policy. That means Apple has your cash in their interest-bearing bank account making them more cash, thereby reducing their cost to operate Applecare over those extra 10 months.

Add up Applecare participation worldwide and one can see that becomes millions of dollars in Apple's pocket.
I think it may also be aimed directly at people like me. If I were to buy a new Apple product, I would judge the need for Apple Care on the first 11 months. If it needs warranty work in that time frame you can bet I would then spring for Apple Care. It is also somewhat likely in that case that AppleCare would pay for itself. Otherwise I would probably judge that item sound and save the expense. If that attitude is prevalent, then clearly Apple Care is being purchased most often on items that have already proven themselves prone to failure.

Anyways one more reason I am very unlikely to buy new over the rest of my life.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts

Yes and it should be. They are not a charity, but they are also one of the wealthiest companies in the world... and I am still not against them making profit, it is why they are in business. They have gone beyond though, they are not hurting for cash and they are doing things that no longer benefit the consumer while at the same time making them money. This is the new Apple and it is not an Apple I like.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
They have gone beyond though, they are not hurting for cash and they are doing things that no longer benefit the consumer while at the same time making them money. This is the new Apple and it is not an Apple I like.

Unfortunately +1!!! Sad.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
So since AppleCare+ (plus) adds break damage, you are wise to add it early, since if you have to use it, it may be too late.

Also, break damage warranty? There's nothing else like that, is there?

If you don't add AppleCare+ initially you have to bring the computer in to be inspected first, to ensure you aren't buying it post-break, so it's easiest when first purchasing the computer.

Just reviewed apple.ca and it's available for the MacBook Air. Seems like a bargain although, agreed, that's an up front increase in cost for sure.

·
Registered
807 Posts
So since AppleCare+ (plus) adds break damage, you are wise to add it early, since if you have to use it, it may be too late.

Also, break damage warranty? There's nothing else like that, is there?

If you don't add AppleCare+ initially you have to bring the computer in to be inspected first, to ensure you aren't buying it post-break, so it's easiest when first purchasing the computer.
That's why they changed the AppleCare on the iPhones years ago...Originally it was like the computers.. 1 year.. I asked about it when my wife got a new phone (5 maybe 6?) and I was on the fence about the AppleCare (thankfully I asked)...
They said the sheer number of people that were trying to buy apple care post issue drove them to make the change... even if Accidental Break coverage wasn't available then there is the cost savings of in warranty replacement cost vs out of warranty replacement cost.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
So.....
Are AppleCare and AppleCare+ two different things?

In the past I used to get an email from Apple just before the one year from purchase date was up to recommend I buy AppleCare.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
So.....

In the past I used to get an email from Apple just before the one year from purchase date was up to recommend I buy AppleCare.
That is what it looks like, or at least different coverage for phones over an iMac.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
So.....

It seems it may be best for any purchaser to check with Apple and find out what the actual situation is, and the time limit to purchase what ever plans they may want or need.

Then get it in writing!!!! As if that would help. :eek:

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I called Apple Canada a couple of days ago to get this straight from the horse's mouth.

The "old" AppleCare which the Apple agent kept calling Apple Protection Plan (or something like that) can still be bought up to a year after one bought the Mac. For a MacBook air it was $279.- which I found a bit steep.
AppleCare+ which includes the "old" AppleCare plus protection against any accidental damage, must be bought within 60 days of purchasing the Mac - no exceptions.
I have read that some people claim one can also buy it past the 60 days if the Mac is first checked out by Apple (and found OK) - I asked specifically about that, the agent double-checked with the department handling AppleCare+ and there is no such thing as buying it after the 60 day window - period.

And...basic AppleCare that one can buy up to one year after the Mac purchase is not shown anywhere on the Apple website that I can find.
It's also not offered if one logs into their Apple store - Apple is really only pushing AppleCare+

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
And...basic AppleCare that one can buy up to one year after the Mac purchase is not shown anywhere on the Apple website that I can find.
It's also not offered if one logs into their Apple store - Apple is really only pushing AppleCare+

Well, at least a Google search was able to find it and the top hit as well which is about 1,000x better and faster than any Apple.ca search can do for 'AppleCare':
https://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Not really, Patrick!

I have been to that site a number of times in the last week.
If you then take the next step and click on the choices for the Mac (bottom left), all you get is AppleCare+, nothing else. No option for just AppleCare.

First few times I thought Apple just forgot to change the text on the page you linked to and "Apple Care Protection Plan" should have been deleted.
Then Apple confirmed AppleCare (purchase up to one year) for me on the phone.
But now I'm not 100% convinced that is actually true.
Trouble is I'm humming and hawing if it's worth $279.- for basic AppleCare. Any hardware problems I have had, I so far fixed myself - basically battery, keyboard and trackpad replacements. Even resurrected a MacBook pro that had coffee spilled all over it (which regular Apple Care wouldn't cover anyway).
And parts I had to buy to fix things were a lot less than $279.-

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good to hear about this follow-up, krs. Like you, I'm wary of the info regarding the "Apple Protection Plan" (i.e., "old" AppleCare) still being available - if it's not offered on the Apple Store online anywhere, nor referenced under Apple Support, how are people supposed to be able to buy it?

In my case, and given the ongoing issues with the keyboards across all of Apple's laptop lines (yes, even the late-2018 MacBook Air Retina upgrade has been the subject of keyboard failure reports) and the not-sure-if-it's-resolved-yet problem with the display cable on the MBPs, I just couldn't pull the trigger and go for a new MBP.

So I went desktop - a tricked-out 27" iMac, my first ever new desktop purchase.... with AppleCare+ (at less than half the cost of AppleCare+ for the laptops). I figured I could make the 2013 MacBook Air I'm currently using last a little longer and handle basic portable needs, while having the heavy lifting done at home. At least if the keyboard gives up the ghost on the iMac, I'll have zero downtime (with a handful of keyboards I have laying around).

This will be a major change to my workflow, so we'll see how it goes. At least the iMac should be reliable for some time to come....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts