Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if extending the applecare to three years on my macbook pro will cover my battery. If the battery dies, or the battery life is reduced to something low like 30 minutes during the 3 years, will Apple replace the battery under applecare?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
I don't think so. Apple considers normal battery wear as the responsibility of the owner. (I do have Applecare.)

I had the battery in my MBP replaced on a recall due to a manufacturing defect. Now that I have had my replacement battery for nearly a year, I am on my own and its deterioration is considered normal wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
The general rule is that batteries fail. The general rule at Apple is that if your battery goes to 30-60 minutes life in the first six months Apple will consider replacing it.

There are also recalls and the like from time to time.

Here is a recent kb article about MacBook and MacBook Pro batteries:
MacBook and MacBook Pro: Battery not recognized after being fully drained

Further research shows that Lars says batteries are covered for one year though, irrespective of AppleCare:

http://www.ehmac.ca/476156-post2.html

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
As far as I can remember, Apple will replace your battery within the first year only, if it drops below 50% of spec.

AppleCare does not protect your battery.

Besides that, AppleCare is ALWAYS a goood idea. It's like a spare tire in your car. Useless if you never need it, but invaluable when you do.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
I have put AppleCare on every single Mac In the past six years. I have not had to use it yet, but since I lease my equipment for two years, then buy it out, upgrade and sell the old, it really enhances the value of my used Mac.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Your battery is covered up to a year from the original purchase date for any and all defects and less-than-ideal performance for any reason.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
thanks, that's one less reason to buy applecare
There are other reasons to buy Applecare, there are plenty of logic board failures out there as well as bad lcd screens pay the extra cash for Applecare now otherwise paying upwards of around $900.00 for a new screen could fall on you to pay instead of Apple.

Laterz :)

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
There's another thread in which someone discusses the Best Buy warranty and how slow they are at repairs. I'm not sure if this reply belongs in here or over there, but it's worth noting that despite Futureshop and Best Buy being slow on repairs, they do have one BIG advantage over Applecare. Their warranty DOES cover batteries for the full 3 years (including loss of performance), as well as all other accessories, like the power cord, remote, keyboard, mouse, etc.

A7

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
There's another thread in which someone discusses the Best Buy warranty and how slow they are at repairs. I'm not sure if this reply belongs in here or over there, but it's worth noting that despite Futureshop and Best Buy being slow on repairs, they do have one BIG advantage over Applecare. Their warranty DOES cover batteries for the full 3 years (including loss of performance), as well as all other accessories, like the power cord, remote, keyboard, mouse, etc.

A7
AppleCare covers all defects related to the unit, all included accessories, as well as accessories purchased after the fact (that are Apple-branded, such as AirPort accessories, keyboards, and mice, for example). The only two items AppleCare does not cover are batteries over a year old and user-inflicted abuse, accidental or not.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
AppleCare covers all defects related to the unit
That's my point exactly... they cover DEFECTS. What I said is FS and BB cover PERFORMANCE. I have had my keyboard replaced twice just because the keys got sticky. If the battery lasts 2 hours instead of the usual 3+ hours, I get it replaced. If the buttons on the remote stop working EVEN FROM WEAR AND TEAR they will replace it.

Note: I'm not saying one is better over the other. Feel free to choose what suits you best. I'm just saying, in my experience, the FS warranty has proven to be worth it.

A7

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although my problem has nothing to do with batteries, I'll mention my Applecare story.

Purchased my Macbook in June 2006 and called on the weekend to finally get Applecare. Turned out that I called a day too late (bought it Jun 22, 2006) and Saturday was the 23rd. The rep was nice enough to 'switch' my purchase date to the 24th of June so that I could get Applecare.

Coincidentally, 2 days later I had a complete hard drive failure. Booting up with the CD, it still couldn't see the HD, and I kept on hearing the click of death. Brought it into the Apple Store in Laval, and they checked and verified that the HD was gone and nothing could be recovered. They checked the backroom and had a brand new HD and just installed it on the spot. In and out with a repaired MacBook in 20 min.

I'd get Applecare again, that's for sure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts