Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you others here noticed the amount of complaining about Apple, Inc over time in the past? Sure, constructive critizem is okay, but most of what I see is a getting more and more annoying than just a few compliants here and there....

... and no, not from PC users - I'm talking from Mac users. "Why are Macs so slow compared to PCs? Apple needs to get its [email protected]@ in the game!"

I dunno, sure, Apple may be a bit behind and all, but people I think rather complain of what Apple doesn't have instead of looking at the the good parts Apple DOES have. Rather annoying in my opinion.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Here here!

I agree 100%

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MacDaddy:
Here here!

I agree 100%
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see I'm not alone in this. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Nope, not alone but most find it easier to whine than be part of a solution. :rolleyes:
Its a popular trend today to just whine and let someone else find a solution. Its a sad sad world.
Robert :(

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert's right on that. Rather let others come up with solutions and waste their own time complaining. I'm figuring that reasonable Mac users should try to help out or just be patient with Apple, not flame them with unwanted comments.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick,

You have 1 or 2 good points, however...

This processor thing is what EVERY Mac user complains about. "Why don't we have a GPUL processor which is twice as fast as the G4 processor?"

Sure, I understand the whinning behind it. Truth is, complaining does nothing. Just be patient, sooner or later Apple will implant a new processor in Macs. I mean, really, Apple being slightly slow on processor upgrading really doesn't feed the arguement on why whinning about should be accepted.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Lars wrote:

"... and no, not from PC users - I'm talking from Mac users. "Why are Macs so slow compared to PCs? Apple needs to get its [email protected]@ in the game!""

Macs *are* slow compared to PCs; ignoring the raw performance of both architectures, working under WinXP feels faster than working under Mac OS X.

"I dunno, sure, Apple may be a bit behind and all, but people I think rather complain of what Apple doesn't have instead of looking at the the good parts Apple DOES have. Rather annoying in my opinion."

Apple does do a lot of good things, but at the same time they do a lot of dumb things, too. Apple isn't a religion, it's a computer company. Telling me to "have faith" and "be patient" might be nice when waiting for the second coming of Christ, but when I see Dell machines that are faster, cheaper, and are covered under a better warranty than the Apple machines, it's kind of hard not to sit back and say, "Gee, maybe Apple's losing it".

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
To me its whining and based on opinion, not fact. You can't say flat out statements like PC's are faster than Macs. I've created DVD's on both Macs and PC's. A simple iMac smoke's a souped up home PC rendering to mpeg 2. Not even beginning to talk about software differences and stability.

Same when my friend was over and I showed him iTunes.. He was absolutly floored at how fast my Mac could rip an MP3.... His jaw just hit the floor when I showed him all of iTunes with Smart Playlists and the iPod. YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON A PC!!!!!

Its all relative on what you are doing. PC's may be faster on somethings maybe even more things, but I'll take stability and usefullness any day. Rather than stare at spec sheets at FutureShop or look at Dell's web page I actually do A LOT OF REALLY COOL things with my Mac.

As for Dell's warranty being better, on their home systems, they give you 1 Year Hardware repairs and one year Hardware telephone support and only 30 days software telephone support. This is almost the exact same thing as Apple's. Course its more important having warranty on a PC.

A customer I know who just bought his first Mac from a PC told me a story how he installed a new CD Rom drive on his Win XP machine and he had to call Microsoft to re-authenticate his Windows licence because Win XP thought it was running on a new machine. ?

Another customer who bought a Windows iPod went through 2 different FireWire cards and couldn't get the dang thing to work. Problem with the bios on his mother board.... The stupid headaches never end... yet so many people put up with it cause its cheaper... People crying Apple should lower their prices etc...

Let me state again, Apple only makes 25-28% margin on their computers. That is not a huge mark up for them. There is this false notion that somehow Apple could sell their computers for "3x less" and make just as good as a computer. :rolleyes: Ain't gonna happen. If you want quality, you have to pay for it.

That isn't to say, that every computer Apple has ever made has been 100% flawless. Even bad things happen to good computers. But like on my 15th Mac and haven't had a single problem yet. Stick with quality components for upgrades, run a lean Mac without tons of fluffly shareware and out of date diagnostic utilities and backup and reformat one a year or so, and there's not much that can go wrong

/rant

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
ps... You know I love you RTC and I'm just stirring the pot. :D Feel free to wack me with Royal Rubber Fish™. :D

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
ehMax wrote:
"To me its whining and based on opinion, not fact. You can't say flat out statements like PC's are faster than Macs."

Take a top-of-the-line PC and a top-of-the-line PowerMac. I'd bet my spleen that the PC will be faster (and probably cheaper, too). I've seen benchmarks that have placed a 3.0GHz P4 ahead (way ahead, too) of a dual 1.25GHz G4.

Still, it's rare when all-out CPU performance is important; as long as the computer I'm using *feels* fast and responsive, and my Powerbook running Jaguar doesn't always feel fast (albiet when performing complicated tasks like "surfing teh intraweb").

"Not even beginning to talk about software differences and stability."

Stability? You've *got* to be kidding. I've had more stability problems with my Powerbook running Jaguar than with *any* of my XP machines.

"Oh, look, a Samba share disappeared on me. I think I'll hang for about 10 minutes before crashing."

*sigh*

"As for Dell's warranty being better, on their home systems, they give you 1 Year Hardware repairs and one year Hardware telephone support and only 30 days software telephone support. This is almost the exact same thing as Apple's."

Not quite. Dell provides on-site service. Apple requires that you lug your computer to an authorized service dealer (in which case it might be shipped off somewhere else).

Nevermind the fact that you can increase your warranty to three years for less than half the price of an AppleCare package.

"Stick with quality components for upgrades, run a lean Mac without tons of fluffly shareware and out of date diagnostic utilities and backup and reformat one a year or so, and there's not much that can go wrong."

The same holds true with a PC; if you stick with quality hardware and software then your chances of having problems is greatly reduced.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Stability with OS X on the Mac... yes. Why would I be kidding? I'm not saying its flawless, but it is very stable and very easy to do cool things that are very difficult and sometimes impossible to do on the PC.

I judge a computer by what I can do with it... period. That's why most people get computers, to do stuff. So many peole lose site of that. Macs don't do everything better, but for what I do, there's nothing even close. I find the Mac pure computing Nirvana.

That won't be the experience for every single person, but for a lot of people it is...

/end of Mac - PC debate on ehMac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts