Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always getting notifications of either extremely low heart (47 bpm) rate or extremely high (137 bpm). Only started about several months ago. I'm sure my heart rate is none of those. Does anyone else have their Apple Watch erroneously reporting on such rates? Now, I should say, I'm assuming it's "erroneous." I have my Watchband the same tightness as I did when first wearing. Can't imagine how it could be a loose band issue.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
What are you doing when it happens? 47 isn't unusual when sleeping for instance. If it's not while sleeping, how far off is it from your resting rate?

137 seems a little off if doing nothing. I've never had a reading too far to either extreme without a reasonable explanation. Could be the sensors are dirty?

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both are during regular activity. My resting rate is usually 60 bpm. The sensors appear to be clean. Maybe swipe them with some alcohol wipes?

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
That's what I use. I tend to sweat, and between that and arm hair sometimes readings can seem a little erratic (but not to your extent.)

The weird thing is, those alerts are only supposed to happen if the heart rate is consistently above/below the threshold for a given amount of time. So it's not a one-off misread. Which watch do you have? If you open the heart app, and you hold your finger to the crown it will take readings much more often. Might give some insight.

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I use. I tend to sweat, and between that and arm hair sometimes readings can seem a little erratic (but not to your extent.)

The weird thing is, those alerts are only supposed to happen if the heart rate is consistently above/below the threshold for a given amount of time. So it's not a one-off misread. Which watch do you have? If you open the heart app, and you hold your finger to the crown it will take readings much more often. Might give some insight.
I have the Series 3. My crown only functions when pushing or turning.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Oh well. You could always check in the Health app. You can see the actual data that was recorded during those intervals. There might be hints there.

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I just checked the Heart Watch app on my iPhone. Within 10 minutes I had readings from 130 to 170. Before and after it was normal at 74. At noon today, I had the same spikes but within 3 minutes and normal before and after. Strange. I’ll need to be more proactive in monitoring.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
If you catch it quickly enough might be worth confirming the old fashioned way. Might also do it any old time to confirm the normal reading is in the ballpark.

·
Premium Member
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you catch it quickly enough might be worth confirming the old fashioned way. Might also do it any old time to confirm the normal reading is in the ballpark.
Strange thing is..the notice comes around 20 minutes after the fact.

·
peek-a-boo
16,438 Posts
You may have already checked this but I find with mine (newer series 6) I have to wear it a little further up from my wrist joint for a more accurate reading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts