Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If you buy a Mac directly from Apple, then you ship the defective good to them for repair. For those who buy from a reseller, you should deal with them. Sounds like you were simply dealing with someone who was new. Or stupid. Or both.

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
I would imagine it varies from store to store. When I bought my MDD G4 from Carbon, I called after about the monstrous noise that was unbelievable. They not ony acted like they never heard of the problem, they told me I was to deal with Apple about it. (who then told me to go to the retailer). So I guess you don't know until you have a problem how a store deals with stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Maybe it would be a good idea for all ehMac-ians to post their stories of good and bad experiences with various resellers vis-à-vis warrantee and repairs. I have no doubt that these guys (well the smart ones at least) read these forums and would be interested to hear how well they are serving their clients.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have had similar experience with resellers. Once I am out the door, they are done with me. I only buy directly from Apple.ca now. Free shipping so it's quite convenient acutally.

I can't wait until they open Apple Stores in Canada.

Needless to say, my experience does not apply to every reseller. London Drugs sounds cool except for that guy who couldn't be bothered to take care of your issue.

Cheers.

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
It's hard to know. It just burns when you spend nearly 5000 bucks on a machine only to be treated like an idiot. Live and learn ;)

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
When I have a problem with a piece of Apple hardware I usually go to an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I assume all retailers aren't Apple Authorized Service Providers (Ie. stores that can fix things). Every AASP I've gone to has given me good service - as soon as I gave them an Applecare number or told them the computer is under a year old, their happy campers usually. There's been a couple of times I've had to wait for the AASP to get parts, but afterwards everything was fixed 100%.

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
"I have spent hundreds of dollars if not more there. Not any more that's for sure."

I hear you bro. It's incredibly frustrating to be bounced back and forth by the retailer and then Apple. I voted by buying my new portable, and plans to buy the next few machines for my business elsewhere, somewhere that at least gives you some honest opinions and service. And telling anyone ready to buy a mac. I can be a bit vindictive I know ;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It's amusing watching MasterBlaster say someone's all right then turn around and slam that same person in another thread.

Given the amount that MasterBlaster complains, I'm wondering if what he says shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I just called** Apple Support and asked them the following question:

"If I had bought say, a PowerMac G4, and within the one year warranty period the keyboard died, should I contact you (Apple that is) or just go back to my reseller?"

The girl I talked to said that I should contact Apple first so they can troubleshoot the issue over the phone, and then if necessary they will issue an order for either a repair or an exchange at an Authorised Service Depot.
[Item worthy of note: LD is only an authorized reseller, not service depot for Apple.]

To clarify I then asked, "Should I expect my reseller to to just give me an exchange?"

Response: "Entirely at their discretion, if they want to or are able to, they can, but realistically you should phone us first." [see below, (1)]

So really, she just outlined to me what I had outlined to you in the store.

The thing about warranties is that 90% of companies (including Apple) don't want to hear from resellers. Thing of it is, many resellers will take something back as defective when it really isn't, and the manufacturer in question ends up with a couple of things. 1) a dissatisfied customer, 2) the cost of returning said item and checking it out, and 3) an unhappy reseller because they had to give someone their money back. Contacting customer support, as painful as it can be sometimes, often ends up with better results than going back to your reseller after x amount of months.

(1)Another thing to consider is that at LD (or at least my LD, really all the stores are as different as they are the same) we don;t keep Apple Pro Keyboards in stock, and seeing as the one you had/have came with a machine, It couldn't really be exchanged for a different keyboard, so there would have been more waiting involved in either case.

Also, to be totally clear, no one except for Apple is responsible for fulfilling a warranty that Apple provides. Check your warranty documentation, I am sure it is in there; It should say something like "Problems? Call us!". While it might be nice to walk into a store and say "hey replace this for me", they [the store] are under no obligation to do so.

Really, I am sorry if not getting an exchange is enough to keep you coming back to any store, but really, in the grand scheme of things it isn't so bad. If you don't want to come down to broadway again that's fine. I am sure that West Van (or whoever you choose to do business with) will treat you just fine.

Also, about being identified, a lot of people here know that I work for LD, in Computers, in Vancouver. Also, I am not sure that anyone else here does. So while I commend your intentions by not calling me by name, anyone could have put two and two together.

--PB

**I would have emailed Apple support to have something in writing to show you all, but Apple Canada's Contact Us Page only has phone numbers. Wierd.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
When Apples G4 prices piummetted recently I went to 4 London Drugs stores over time. Each one gave me a different story as to pricing and availability of the new G4 1.25 ghz towers. The information did not match up consistently.

I haven't heard anything about the new model G4 towers. I was under the impression that they would be available from Apple direct, as all we have heard about is the new G5s for sure. Because of the way Apple ships things to us, which is fairly inconsistent to say the least, I tend not to speculate until we get an email from our buyers detailing the specifics, which to the best of my knowledge hasn't arrived yet about the G4 1.25 machines.

edit: also, if you went to the store after the G5 annoucement, were you clear you were talking about the NEW G4 1.25s? There was a PowerMac G4 1.25 in the last model line that was being cleared out. Availability was kind of sketchy, and pricing on clearance items can be changed at the discretion of the dept. manager. Further discrepancies can come from pricing on demo models, which is again at the discretion of the dept manager, and is further influenced by the shape the machine is in.

--PB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts