Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, there's AirPort 3.0 (which has been subsequently pulled as their seem to be many problems cropping up with Graphite Base Stations) and the security update. Applied the Security Update, no problems thus far.

Security Update:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Security Update 2002-03-24 addresses a Samba vulnerability which could allow unauthorized remote access to the host system. The built-in Windows file sharing is based on the open source technology called Samba and is off by default in Mac OS X. OpenSSL is also updated to address an issue in which RSA private keys can be compromised when communicating over LANs, Internet2/Abilene, and interprocess communication on local machine. It is recommended that all users install this Security Update. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Trust me when I say, Apple's security updates are minor compared to XP.

As well, it would seem that most of them are security holes attributed to windows-based file sharing and other Windows-centric networking aspect.

Mac OS X 10.2 has had exactly 5 minor security updates since it's release (six if you could the Internet Explorer Security update last year)

:cool:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Here is the log file: (Note, I have installed every update to date)

-----------------------
Thursday, August 29, 2002 09:57:31 Canada/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2002-08-23" (1.0)

Monday, September 23, 2002 08:16:30 Canada/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2002-09-20" (1.0)

Friday, October 04, 2002 08:35:39 Canada/Eastern: Installed "Internet Explorer 5.2 Security Update" (5.2.2)

Friday, November 22, 2002 17:56:59 Canada/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2002-11-21" (1.0)

Monday, March 03, 2003 17:00:09 Canada/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2003-03-03" (1.0)

Monday, March 24, 2003 18:41:14 Canada/Eastern: Installed "Security Update 2003-03-24" (1.0)
-----------------------

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
I see that Apple recommends all users apply this update. Even if I'm not on some sort of network? Does this update, like a combo, cover all the other updates? If I'm just a single-user, what is the reason I should update?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
To be the first in Goose Bay to have it? To protect yourself from Windows users? To get rid of the annoying reminder in the SW Update window (I know you can inactivate any update). I think the best reason is just to remain up to date since it is remotely possible that subsequent updates might expect the previous updates have been applied (perhaps why Apple recommends it to all users?). It is a bit of a pain in the neck - must be a lot worse for dial-up people.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe they say to allow it for all users cuz most users don't know what they are running. I know I don't run Samba, and I most likely didn't NEED the update, but I like to stay at the bleeding edge.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
So should I go ahead and run this update without running previous ones? Will I be notified if previous updates are required first?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
Hey SB... it's called a joke dude... I know all too much about XP...

Sorry if I affected your OSX Mojo...

Cheers,

RtC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No sweat. I was enjoying myself.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csonni:
I see that Apple recommends all users apply this update. Even if I'm not on some sort of network? Does this update, like a combo, cover all the other updates? If I'm just a single-user, what is the reason I should update?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you use the internet, you are effectively on a network. The same vunerabilities could be exploited if they are not patched. However, at least OS X has alot of these features "off" as a default. This means that even if you didn't patch, it's not likely to leave you wide open... unlike a Windows-based PC.

Updates are good. Even if the extra security is not 'immediately' being used.

·
Registered
259 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> OSX is starting to look like XP lately. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As more people switch over from Windows, it's only gonna get worse. I've always laughed at Windows users because they SHOULD have anti-virus software -- everybody wants to take down Micro$$$$ -- and I've never needed it as a Mac user 'cause it's a pretty small market right now.

But, it's only gonna get bigger which is good and bad. Mostly good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts