Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although not reflected on Apple's Canadian site for general information about the Time Capsule at the time of writing this, the Canadian online store now reflects minor upgrades to the Time Capsule. Instead of 1TB and 2TB options, Apple is now offering 2TB and 3TB versions for $299 Cdn and $499 Cdn respectively.

The subtle update with just slightly more storage comes as a bit of a surprise as rumours and speculation where quite rampant on many sites that the next update to the Time Capsule would be related to new features with Apple's forthcoming iCloud service.

It's worth noting that as Apple continues updating products, pricing is being brought in line with Canada's strong dollar as once again the pricing in Canada is the same as the US. Previous Time Capsule models saw a bit of a premium in Canadian dollars with the 2TB high-end model being $499 US and $549 Cdn.

With today's update, one can now get a entry-level 2TB model for $299 Cdn, representing a $250 Cdn price drop.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apple Canada's info site is still showing the old models.

It used to cost $329 just for the 1TB model. It's a nice change to have the 2TB model for $299, but I still find $499 for a 3TB model quite expensive.

From what I have gathered and investigated, no other changes at all besides increase storage.

No other changes to Airport Express or Extreme.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I think they may have had a bad batch - that they're consistently better now. Perhaps Lars or someone else who sees stuff coming in for warranty repair etc. will have some anecdotal info.

Revealed: the true failure rate (and number made) of Apple's Time Capsules | Technology | guardian.co.uk

I somehow doubt they'd have been able to continue with a failure rate as high as they were seeing with the bad batch without there being a lot of squawking. I haven't seen any more mass complaints like there were before Apple offered the replacements for the bad batch. (see links at end of Guardian article link above)

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correction, I think the Airport Extreme Base Station dropped from $199 Cdn to $179 Cdn making it inline with the US price as well.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
So, was it updated somehow? Apple doesn't usually change the prices unless they update something, do they?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, was it updated somehow? Apple doesn't usually change the prices unless they update something, do they?
From what I've read, it's a new part number, but no indication of any new features, at least not publicly acknowledged.

Someone webmaster is definitely asleep, as they're being very slow to update details on their pages. Store is up-to-date, but basically everything else has not been updated yet including:

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
From what I've read, it's a new part number, but no indication of any new features, at least not publicly acknowledged.

Someone webmaster is definitely asleep, as they're being very slow to update details on their pages. Store is up-to-date, but basically everything else has not been updated yet including:

Apple - Wi-Fi - Which Wi-Fi Base Station are you?
Been updated.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
It used to cost $329 just for the 1TB model. It's a nice change to have the 2TB model for $299, but I still find $499 for a 3TB model quite expensive.
I agree, and heres why...
Airport Extreme + USB 3TB HDD = 179.99 + 149.99 = 329.98
Airport Extreme + Ethernet 3TB HDD = 179.99 + 199.99 = 379.98

So I think the pricing is way out of line with hardware. Sure it is one unit, so less cables etc, but is it worth a $119-169 upgrade? Besides, I can upgrade my hard drive later and keep the same router.

The 2TB one is pretty much a wash, so it is priced right.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Apple needs to update the refurb pricing of the AEBS's and Time Capsules.

The AEBS is $169 refurb and only $10 more new.

The 1TB Time Capsule refurb is only $20 less than the 2TB current/new model.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Maybe the Apple web refurb listing folks are taking a break or no one at Apple has given them any recent Canadian update pricing info to post or to update any recent existing refurb pricing???

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The US page has been updated:

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

The Canadian Page has not:

http://www.apple.com/ca/wifi/

If you open the two windows in tabs, and toggle between the two, your eye can pickup the difference between the two pages... which in this case is not a lot.

Only difference, in the updated page, they add reference to the iPad, change the name from AirTunes to AirPlay, remove the "New" buttons (Which is odd for the old page to have "New" labels and the new page not to), and the size and price of the Time Capsules.

No other differences are mentioned.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts