ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of course this isn't news to users of ATV, but have a peek at MSFTs latest revisions to the 360.....

Information about the upcoming Xbox Live Service Update

not that i want to use that horrible apple remote to twitter, but you have to hand it to Redmond, at least they are focusing on the product. On top of which some of the applications ( last.fm) are based on having a paid XBOX live gold account. Perhaps google needs to consider a revenue model outside of itunes to make dev on apple TV more appealing to them

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have always liked XBox live. The features are great and the interface looks sharp and is very intuitive. PS3 owners (I am one of these as well) will argue that the PlayStation network is free to use, and that may be true, but it's not nearly as good. I don't mind paying for things that are worth the extra coin. I am also an Apple TV owner and like it a lot but the interface is awful, even with the latest update. I know Apple was going for simplicity here but I think it's too simple. Ever tried to search for something with that remote?

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
of course this isn't news to users of ATV, but have a peek at MSFTs latest revisions to the 360.....

Information about the upcoming Xbox Live Service Update

not that i want to use that horrible apple remote to twitter, but you have to hand it to Redmond, at least they are focusing on the product. On top of which some of the applications ( last.fm) are based on having a paid XBOX live gold account. Perhaps google needs to consider a revenue model outside of itunes to make dev on apple TV more appealing to them
I dunno. I think the key here is that all these things are "upcoming". What Apple does do right is just release the product and then update frequently as you go along. Take the iPhone or OSX, for instance. XP is from around 2001. It's taken MS about 8 years to finally get Windows 7 together, something that at least looks like it could compete with OSX in usefulness, In the meantime, OSX has had eight or nine years to evolve and learn from its mistakes. By the time the competitors get their products out the door, Apple is ahead by a century.

One thing that causes concern in the MS announcement is the word "mandatory". Seems rather draconian to me. Why must everyone get the update? What is the real issue?

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
I have always liked XBox live. The features are great and the interface looks sharp and is very intuitive. PS3 owners (I am one of these as well) will argue that the PlayStation network is free to use, and that may be true, but it's not nearly as good. I don't mind paying for things that are worth the extra coin. I am also an Apple TV owner and like it a lot but the interface is awful, even with the latest update. I know Apple was going for simplicity here but I think it's too simple. Ever tried to search for something with that remote?
If you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, you can use the Remote app and just type in your search word. Much faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts