Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting the 160 gig Apple TV device. Looking for any advice - pros and cons. Also advice on how much tv it can access in Canada. I understand most US tv is blocked. Appreciate any advice - thanks

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The AppleTV is limited in many respects but also fantastic in others. If you are content with renting HD movies that are available through the AppleStore, want to show your photographs (easily) on your TV, like to catch odd TV episodes you may have missed, watch YouTube, play your iTunes music library through your home theatre, etc., then the AppleTV is a good device. It is overly simplified and doesn't let you easily watch media from outside of the AppleStore but there are ways to hack it if that's what you are into.

There are always rumours of new devices and a new one may be released sometime next year. The rumours are that this will stream only (no local storage) which is potentially a problem since many Internet connections are subject to traffic shaping and if you want to watch HD content its best to at least cache a portion of the movie to avoid annoying hiccups.

I bought 160 GB ATV about three years ago and we use it primarily to watch HD movies (around $4.99 to rent) as well as playing music, etc. We have a Canadian and a US iTunesStore account and this increases the availability of programming somewhat.

I'd love to drop cable TV as we only seem to watch news and the odd documentary (although my son is addicted to Setanta for his footie). ATV isn't able to replace cable yet, but there is promise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.