Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that the Apple TV works with a 480i CRT television with component inputs? Seeing how most CRT televisions do accept 480p signals and simply downconvert them to 480i. Component video signals still looks way better than composite video signals even on CRT screens.

·
Registered
328 Posts
D'oh. A quick Google search got me this:

Rogue Amoeba - Under The Microscope

In short, even if you have a standard 480i def CRT television, whether widescreen or 4:3 aspect, as long as you have component input the Apple TV WILL work!

I don't think that is completely true. I have a friend who tried and his only came in black and white. I browsed through the article... but if you read the comments, you will see that the article is misleading. It looks like you have to have a CRT TV with component and the tv must have the option to switch to a widescreen mode. Also, some people appear to have gotten it to work without widescreen mode, but the picture is squished. From what I can tell, it is really hit or miss depending on the TV you have.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't think that is completely true. I have a friend who tried and his only came in black and white. I browsed through the article... but if you read the comments, you will see that the article is misleading. It looks like you have to have a CRT TV with component and the tv must have the option to switch to a widescreen mode. Also, some people appear to have gotten it to work without widescreen mode, but the picture is squished. From what I can tell, it is really hit or miss depending on the TV you have.
You are absolutly right... some tv will offer the widescreen mode and some not... mine is playing standard 4:3 only and the image from the apple tv is squished...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts