Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robert X. Cringely seems to think Apple, in January, may release a tablet Mac that's also convergence appliance by being the first wireless device to use the emerging UWB format called 802.15.3 (using a variant called DS-CDMA).

Sounds interesting but of course Microsoft is backing a different format (Multiband OFDM). VHS vs Betamax deja vu?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Unless Apple pulls a MIRACLE out of their *&^% we won't be seeing a tablet like computer from Apple :D Tablets are not doing well at all in sales. Infact the sales have fallen well below what was forecasted not only by the manufacturers but also by the analysts. The tablet market is soooooooooo tiny that I don't see it expanding anytime soon.

I think the tablet market will eventually die or stay in certain fields like science perhaps, but I don't see it getting very popular as most predicted a few years ago.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,375 Posts
Good to see you back, Jim, if but for a posting or two.

Now, THAT would be a grand "Oh, and one more thing...." comment by Steve Jobs. Read the Cringely article, and it would be a unique component of a Mac-centric digital technology hub. Hopefully, his article is not merely some "wind in the willows" (the book from which he obtained his mascot picture).

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I don't see it either.. but it would be cool..

Same goes for the cheap iPod.. unless they make it so sucky.. in terms of what it can do.. they will not release it..

Now.. what about a G5 powerbook..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Canadian By Choice
117,375 Posts
The tablet concept is interesting, in that it is ideal for the person who does not need the smallness of a PDA, but does need the possibilities that a tablet provides the user.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Dr. G,

If what you say is true, then why in over the last 2 years of the introduction to the tablet, we are not seeing a market for them? Microsoft has acknowledged this, and all the tablet manufactures have said the same. Some fear the tablet will die if not adopted in the future like predicted.

It is funny how we go from pen and paper to typing to speed things up, and now we want to go back to pen and paper but in a digital format.

If Apple is going to make a tablet then they might as well join in the PDA market and bring back the Apple Newton. I would take that over any tablet from any company.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,375 Posts
U_L, you summed it up in one word -- "Microsoft". Let the innovators and designers at Apple loose with this concept and watch what is created. The Cube, then the iMac I and II, and then the...............box. Oh, but what a box it shall be....You will see...better than Thing One or Thing Three...So said the Cat in the Hat.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I use a keyboard so that I DON'T have to use a pen and deal with my awful hand-writing. I can't imagine what pen based tablet Apple could release that I would want.

But then again, this is Apple we're talking about. They've been showing me cool stuff I didn't even know I wanted for a long time now.

San Fran is probably going to be a good show either way.

·
Registered
609 Posts
From what I understand re Crinchley's article, it will be more of a portable Digital Media device + remote control than a PDA, like Palm, Newton(but with similar features, as well). On Palms, tablets you get around by tapping on icons, dragging down menus, with a pen. Keyboards can also usually be attached, for desk use.
This seems to be a very promising device, esp. if Apple if first to market
(I only use printing, not cursive handwriting on my Newton, since I'm about the only one that can decipher my hanwriting
Am just starting to fool around with Inkwell and my girlfriend's Wacom tablet-check out the Cintiq for a really cool device, esp. for graphic artists}

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Not to say it's impossible, but I've learned not to believe a word Cringley says.

It's almost to the point where, if he says it will happen, I assume the opposite is true.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a problem with that article. Did you know that AppleInsider reported a Rumour in October quoting the company in Taiwan is making the next generation of iMacs instead of what this person says about tablets?

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But you obviously still read his columns then Gordguide
At least Cringley is an entertaining read (and his articles on identity theft and Japanese innovation were spot on).

I think Apple has realised that its locked out of the corporate world and needs new markets to raise its profits. The iPod has shown the way - the average user wants something that works. The G5 and cool designs of the laptops will keep the Mac business in the black, but with little potential for expansion (heck, 10% of the PC market would be a major success). Apple needs more appliances and I think we'll see a series of home-based devices that "just work" (unlike the insane technical pains of monstrosities like the PC media centre that are just too complicated - even if you're used to a PC).

Keyboards will evolve. As an interface concept, they are a joke that we happily go along with because we know no better.

Urban_legend, maybe the next generation of iMacs will be tablets? Not too much of a stretch seeing as the market reluctance of the Wintel tablet is a combination of price and market.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The tablet is the lastest example of a technology looking for a market (pretty much like G3 telephones actually). A sensitive screen with mixed input, OK, it would be like these great machines the Psion 5 and the Psion Revo, just on a bigger scale. For me this is evolution, not revolution...

On the concept of high speed digital hub, it is interesting that many new homes come pre-wired with Cat 5 or Fibre, waiting for something to be put through. This part of the article was interesting:

The tablet PC killer app for the mass market is functioning as a digital hub, a general concept both Apple and Microsoft have been pushing for a couple years. It's the idea that your computer ought to control your TV and your stereo and your VCR. The only problem has been that there isn't a good way to link these things all together, and even if we do, that digital hub isn't anywhere near your TV, at least not yet.

Does anyone know what happened to the Gibson Magic high speed networking concept? And how it fits with the standards discussion in the article?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,375 Posts
Imagine an iMac with a screen that could be removed from it's mount? Thus, while the 17" and 20" iMacs might have screens that could not be detached (since these are not really tablets, but rather table tops), a 15" removeable screen/tablet might be possible? Just a thought.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Now that I could see happening, An iMac screen that pops
off and then you can either interchange it with your laptop
screen or pop in a replacement screen that doesn't have
white spots on your laptop. ;)
(iMac's don't have white spots...Yet)

Dave :cool:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Or how about a 20" screen that pops into a laptop when
you are using the laptop as a work station, Then when you
are out and about you have a 12" screen for a more
portable laptop.

Dave :cool:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Dr. G., that is near genius on your part.

The concept of having an iMac with a display screen that detached and becomes your tablet for the day while at work, to me would be fantastic.

Well thought out sir!

BUT, what would it do to iPod sales?

Just wondering.

Cheers

·
Canadian By Choice
117,375 Posts
Steve Jobs thought so to when he contacted me about US Patent# (pending approval in Delaware) 372654846363728899937367366788238282746777838-a
Modesty forbids me to reveal the sale price for my idea, but needless to say that I now have enough money to buy out Dolly Parton's Dollywood http://www.dollywood.com/ and establish DoxieWood. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts