Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From AppleInsider

"Touchscreen panels for Apple's forthcoming tablet have begun shipping, and aluminum casings are expected to arrive next month, sources allegedly told Reuters.

The report, issued Friday, claims that two Taiwanese companies are supplying parts: AVY Precision Technology will begin production of the aluminum casings in February, while TPK Solutions is manufacturing the touchscreen panels. Three anonymous sources were cited in the report.

"Production of the cases will begin in February, so everything points to a second-quarter launch right now," one of the sources reportedly said. "It doesn't take that long for the company to assemble the PC together, but a second-quarter shipment date is what we're looking at now."

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
All Mac portables have an aluminium enclosure (save the base line MacBook), so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's tablet did as well. I wouldn't like a plastic based one...

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
i hope the islate will be real, not like the rumor about ipod touchs having a camera.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
something tells me that the islate will just be a bigger version of the new iphone 4G (coming soon), maybe it will be running both snow leopard and iphone os together

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
snow leopard, yes please... iphone os, please god no... unless they've finally redesigned it to give it a little more pizazz.. its so boring now. functional, easy, yes... but really, really boring. i'd hate to see apple limit the functionality of a device like this with a dumbed down version of their OS.. i think a lot of people would.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
^^^
+1

If it is a 'computer', ie OSX, then I'm interested. If it is a big fat iPhone - not interested...

If it is to be interesting to students, it is going to have to have capability to run ancillary programs beyond word pro, surfing, email, that students require such as SPSS (pretty much required for any serious behavioural science), mathlab, and so on. If it can't do that students will need a computer as well which means on student budgets they are going to stick to notebooks.

·
Registered
643 Posts
^^^
+1

If it is a 'computer', ie OSX, then I'm interested. If it is a big fat iPhone - not interested...

If it is to be interesting to students, it is going to have to have capability to run ancillary programs beyond word pro, surfing, email, that students require such as SPSS (pretty much required for any serious behavioural science), mathlab, and so on. If it can't do that students will need a computer as well which means on student budgets they are going to stick to notebooks.
... and a spell/garmmer checker too ;)

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
snow leopard, yes please... iphone os, please god no... unless they've finally redesigned it to give it a little more pizazz.. its so boring now. functional, easy, yes... but really, really boring. i'd hate to see apple limit the functionality of a device like this with a dumbed down version of their OS.. i think a lot of people would.
Uhm... Axiotron makes a tablet running Snow Leopard.

What functionality do you need in a tablet that couldn't be provided by iPhoneOS?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
AppleInsider is now saying it's gonna look like a giant version of the Original 2G iPhone. Which I kind Like.

AppleInsider said:
Similarly, the tablet is said to sport all the same in/out connectivity as the current iPhone 3GS, including a 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack, built-in speaker grills, a microphone, GPS, 3G connectivity and a 30-pin dock connector. Like the rendering, its 10-inch display is framed by a black border that bleeds into its wrap-around aluminum enclosure.
Connects via Doc Connector, makes sense. This rendering is apparently close, except for External Volume Buttons and the iPhone Home Button on the side:

If this is what it looks like, than I for one am pumped. I loved the Industrial Design of the 1st iPhone. Like it much better than the 3G/S.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.