Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Man, they seemed to have gotten a lot of money out of Apple so far. Boo!!
The other thing is, they never published any music so I can't see how they would be harming this "apple corp".

·
Registered
369 Posts
Paul has got to ease off...hasn't he got enough money yet??

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
So what legitimate news source has reported this? All the online sites refer to a short blurb on Fox's entertainment gossip web page. That article makes use of the word "apparently."

Sounds fishy to me.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but the very first line says that they are being sued... the aparently is used to denote what the the lawsuit is about.

The inevitable has happened: The Beatles have sued Steve Jobs over Apple iTunes and the Apple iPod -- at least the band's company, Apple Corps., has sued Apple Computers.

The case was apparently filed a short time ago in London's High Court of Justice, but was just served on Apple Computers in California in the last couple of days. Although details from the court papers aren't yet available, the gist of the breach of contract suit is as follows.
This says that the lawsuit has happened, but the details haven't been made public.

They also say Apple refused to talk about the lawsuit.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
There seems to be a lot of gossip? of a secret deal between Apple records and Apple computer in 1981, where Apple computer would not get into the music business and millions of dollars have been paid out to Apple records over the years over many infringements of this secret deal. Many stories attribute the naming of Apple Computer company to Steve Jobs admiration of the Beatles; I don't think this is true, to refute this "fact":
"On April 1st, 1976 they (Woz and Jobs)officially formed the Apple Computer Company. Jobs had recently worked at an organic apple orchard, and liked the name because "he thought of the apple as the perfect fruit--it has a high nutritional content, it comes in a nice package, it doesn't damage easily--and he wanted Apple to be the perfect company. Besides, they couldn't come up with a better name."
Frank Rose, WEST OF EDEN: THE END OF INNOCENCE AT APPLE COMPUTER, p. 33.
http://www.blinkenlights.com/classiccmp/apple2history.html

More recently, Apple's almost takeover of Vivendi's music core would refute that secret deal as well.
As for Paul McArtney, I don't think he has any part of Apple records any more, didn't the Beatles and Apple part ways? Doesn't Michael Jackson own the copyrights to the Beatles music library?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm getting tired of people slagging Paul, Ringo for protecting their rights to the corporate name "Apple".

If Apple is indeed breaking the agreement they made many years ago not to get into audio (which they are with the many audio products) then they are gonna pay some cash.

What makes me mad is that people are saying they are washed up, not important musicians. They basically created britpop and the idea of writing your own songs and arrangements for the genre.

Maybe Apple should spin off the music part of their business and put it under a new banner? Possibly similar to the Newton business.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the battle of the Apples has begun:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/09/12/statements/index.php?redirect=1063396010000

An Apple Corps spokesperson confirmed on Friday that the organization started by The Beatles has filed a lawsuit against Apple Computer Inc. The lawsuit cites breach of contract by Apple Computer over the use of "Apple."

"Specifically, (the) complaint is made over the use by Apple Computer of the word "Apple" and apple logos in conjunction with its new application for downloading pre-recorded music from the Internet," Apple Corps said in a statement on Friday.

Despite the lawsuit over its iTunes Music Service, Apple Computer is not backing down to the company it has signed an agreement with for use of the name. In a statement given to MacCentral on Friday, Apple Computer said the issue would go to court.
So, now we know it's not gossip...

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I thought this was settled a few decades back. :rolleyes:

Apple computers is a huge company these days...one that is truly on the leading edge of computer design and development.

Apple records is....well...not exactly setting the world on fire these days.

You don't suppose that Apple Records see an easy way to get several million dollars do you?? Without actually releasing any new music?

NAAAWWW....

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
smacks of oppurtunism to me. Apple records music library is scanty. Seems like a good time to get their stock prices up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts