ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the Apple stores policy on exchanges/store credit with a gift receipt?

I won a 16GB wifi iPad, but I already have a 32GB one so don't really have a need for the 16, ideally I'd like to be able to return it for store credit that I'll use for a new iPhone when it comes out but I'm not really sure if that's going to be a viable option, I suppose I could always try and sell it second hand, but I'd rather not take the hit I'm sure that would entail. Not really too much else in the way of Apple kit I need at this point...

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Anyone know the Apple stores policy on exchanges/store credit with a gift receipt?

I won a 16GB wifi iPad, but I already have a 32GB one so don't really have a need for the 16, ideally I'd like to be able to return it for store credit that I'll use for a new iPhone when it comes out but I'm not really sure if that's going to be a viable option, I suppose I could always try and sell it second hand, but I'd rather not take the hit I'm sure that would entail. Not really too much else in the way of Apple kit I need at this point...
Am I missing something?

Isn't the point of a gift receipt so you can exchange/return a product that was a gift? I don't see any reason you can't return the item.

·
Registered
563 Posts

If it was a prize, exactly what "hit" are you taking? Would seem to me it's all gravy.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just assuming that the resale value would be less than the value of the store credit, hence the "hit"... as I mentioned my ideal situation would be to use the credit for a new iphone5 (whenever it actually comes out) but I have a feeling the store credit is only valid for a limited time (and it's still a bit of a guessing game as to exactly when it will launch)... the gift receipt has a date for returns on it, but the fine print on the back is all in french hence my confusion regarding exactly what the stores policies are...

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I'm just assuming that the resale value would be less than the value of the store credit, hence the "hit"... as I mentioned my ideal situation would be to use the credit for a new iphone5 (whenever it actually comes out) but I have a feeling the store credit is only valid for a limited time (and it's still a bit of a guessing game as to exactly when it will launch)... the gift receipt has a date for returns on it, but the fine print on the back is all in french hence my confusion regarding exactly what the stores policies are...
Let me tell you about this cool website, its called Google. Its really good at finding things!

Gift Receipt Return Policy
Gift items purchased at a retail Apple Store can be returned with an original Gift Receipt within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase. If the item is returned in the original box, unopened, with the original packaging, we will exchange it or offer you an Apple Gift Card equal to the purchase price of the gift, including tax and any other fees. All other standard purchase policies outlined above apply.
Apple - Legal - Sales Policies - Canadian Retail Sales

So you can return it, get a gift card, and sit on that until the iPhone 5 comes out! Problem solved!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Why not phone an Apple Store and ask them?
Honestly I believe I could pick up a telephone and speak to Barack Obama before reaching a human being at an apple store, especially reaching one that can competently answer a simple question.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
on the 4 or 5 times i have had to call the apple stores i have been able to speak with a human being 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
no more than a few minutes..considerably less than i would have been trying to wait for an associate in most department stores or futureshop/BB etc

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
As usual I'm the only person here who has a problem with apple. :D

I've been on hold with the apple store in Ottawa for upwards of 45 minutes before. Numerous times.

I checked in my machine for diagnostics, they said it would be ready the next day. I called in and they told me it was ready to be picked up. The problem was it was ready to be picked up because they cancelled the diagnostics on the machine because I called to ask. The person the phone couldn't tell me the problem with the machine, but they did tell me the machine was fixed. It was a weird thing to say because the machine wasn't being repaired, only diagnosed. I drove into the store, paid for parking, wasted time in line to be told they cancelled the diagnostics because I phoned in and requested it. :mad: The "genius" had originally told me that the diagnostics would take an hour, I was welcome to wait, but I decided to leave the machine for 24 hours just to be safe. When I returned they told me that they do all diagnostics overnight, and that I was a liar. The offending "genius" told his manager right in front of me that he never said that. I was speechless.... So was the person at Apple customer relations.

I've never seen such incredible incompetence in my life. They offered to check my machine back in and send me to the back of the queue.

I have had good experiences with the Apple stores in Northridge CA, and Yorkdale Mall. But I've never tried to call them:lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To kinda have to agree the Ottawa apple store has the worst customer service of all the ones I've been too... And it's not even close to being the busiest and it is one of the larger ones...

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
ive gotta say...if you take your computer to an apple store to get serviced i dont have much sympathy for you when it all goes wrong...

there are numerous AASPs in ottawa who pride themselves on their reputation for quality work. they employ techs who have experience and real world knowledge, not just kids who've been to some genius training...

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
ive gotta say...if you take your computer to an apple store to get serviced i dont have much sympathy for you when it all goes wrong...

there are numerous AASPs in ottawa who pride themselves on their reputation for quality work. they employ techs who have experience and real world knowledge, not just kids who've been to some genius training...
So in one thread you pin the blame on the apple store, and in another you pin the blame on me? Make up your mind broad!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be clear I'm referring to the actual apple store and not authorized places, as an aside I've had nothing but perfect service from carbon computing here in Ottawa.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts

Agreed. I go to Steve Mash at Ottawa Pianos on Bank St.. He's got a little tiny booth at the back of the store, but the service is top notch. Free parking too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts