Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Someone remind me, is the Vaughn Mills development the one at Rutherford and the 400? That's rumoured to be targeted as the largest mall in Canada from what I remember.

I still think that Yorkdale would be their best bet but since they command the top prices and space is at a premium, perhaps it would not be the best fit for Apple's plans.

I'd love to have one around and I'm sure it would be lucrative for Apple. Whenever I walk into one in the US I seem to walk out with an armful of software that I hadn't realized I needed before then

The only unfortunate thing is that now Dr. Woodget will be getting his hands on the new G4 laptops even faster ;).

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
"The Largest Mall in Canada" will have to be something pretty huge to beat West Edmonton Mall!! That place is ENORMOUS! Practically a city unto itself.

As for Dr.Woodget getting new G4 Laptops even quicker....I'm all for it! As long as he flogs his old ones here on ehMac! We could all benefit from this. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bjornbro:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
[qb]I still think that Yorkdale would be their best bet but since they command the top prices and space is at a premium, perhaps it would not be the best fit for Apple's plans.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, you were right! It's perfect. A high class mall (contradiction in terms?) for a high class store. People with money and who like to spend it, flock to that mall. I wouldn't expect anything less from Apple.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi class mall? they generally design malls for all types. They do not want to alienate too many people - or their $$ - esp in this retail climate. Look at the Eaton Center - and many other multi level malls - it was designed like this: Top most floors are the more higher priced retail outlets. As you make your way down, you will get more afforadable. Not saying that you have cheap outlets on the bottom floor, but that's how they try to set it up. I don't feel like having to transit from Downtown to Vaughan Mills just for that store. Whatever they do, it has to be a newly designed mall/plaza. that's their own standard.

·
Registered
223 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hi class mall? they generally design malls for all types. They do not want to alienate too many people - or their $$ - esp in this retail climate. [/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would argue that Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill has turned itself into a hi-class mall with its renovated look consisting of white walls and bulkheads, honey-stained birch (I think) fixtures, mosaic tiles and leather sofas throughout. To think I used to pay $1.25 to see Batman on a coke-stained screen there. Anyways, here are my comments I posted on Macrumours:

I live down the street from the site of this mall. All the local retailers made a big fuss b/c this was to be some super mall and it would force smaller malls to close. Whatever the reason, the project has been halted. They haven't even had the earthmovers in to level the land for a few months. I guess 2004 is still possible, but considering that they haven't even broken ground and we're getting into winter, it would be late 2004 for a project of this scale.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I wonder what the logic would be in placing a store so far from the large population Toronto offers? I have a bad feeling about this "super-mall" "out there"!

In my mind, it only makes sense to have a store located in the Eaton Center. Yes, the parking is bad/non-existent/expensive, but the public transit serves it well. Plus the fact the Eaton Center is classified as a tourist spot provides exemption to statutory holidays. The demographic visiting the Center is as broad as it gets and almost no one doesn't know where the Eaton Center is located.

The downside would be the rent... "up north" would hopefully be substantially cheaper.

If it's proposed to be a "rural" installation, Yorkdale, Sherway Gardens, or best of all, Square One (Mississauga :D ) would all get my vote.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
After thinking about this rumured location it does make sense. If you consider the demographics that Apple wants to reach then this will be well suited. All the communities around and near tend to be middle to upper middle class with families. Virtually every family has at least 2 cars so getting there won't be a problem. Also too, this mall will be located across from Canada's Wonderland, itself a tourist attraction.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I would love to see it at Yorkdale, that huge white Apple logo on the outside wall of the mall (beside Gap, of course) would look good (especially at night) to all the passers-by on the 401!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
I still think that Yorkdale would be their best bet but since they command the top prices and space is at a premium, perhaps it would not be the best fit for Apple's plans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, you were right! It's perfect. A high class mall (contradiction in terms?) for a high class store. People with money and who like to spend it, flock to that mall. I wouldn't expect anything less from Apple.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Demographics Demographics Demographics!

Very few Torontoians from Parkdale or Regent Park or or or have the money to buy Apple.

Downtown Toronto has a plethora of Mac retailers that bend over backward to provide service to corporate clients.

The "City Above Toronto" has the fastest growing population in Canada, and Markham has the highest average concentration of wealth.

The 905 area above Toronto has a quickly growing population of young families that can afford SUV's and Mini-vans.

Apple knows exactly what it is doing.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I agree that Yorkdale makes the most sense but I believe it also has the highest rental rates.

I think Apple would want to keep their costs in line, specially as this would be a pilot project.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would argue that Yorkdale effectively grabs the north 905 area as well as the Leaside to Forest Hill mid-towners (talk about Mini-vans and SUVs ... and BMers and Mercs etc. etc.). That's why it's the number one money making mall in Canada (not to mention that it is on the subway line as well).

It's not what I would describe as a high class mall (Bayview Village fits that bill). Ohenri had it right that a successful mall attracts money while not being too pretentious. Yorkdale has hit this nail squarely on the head.

Nevertheless, the Vaughn Mills location is definitely set to be the next big thing. I just don't see Apple willfully ignoring the well to do 416 crowd (unless they don't want to step on too many retailer toes, after all there is a Compucenter just down the 401 at Keele, not that they can hold a candle to an Apple Store).

Which reminds me, I thought we'd see a lot more retailer gripping in this thread...

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
With all the Apple resellers in the downtown Toronto area, you might think Apple was just being considerate and not taking away the stores client base. Just a thought. Besides, not everyone wants to go to Toronto.
Robert

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
You have to go pretty far to beat the West Edmonton Mall; and a huge expansion is underway.

The Mall of America comes close (same number of stores, same owners, but less retail square footage, never mind that LEGOland is a pale comparison to rinks, boats, and whatever else they have for amusement in Edmonton).

If the new Toronto Mall is supposed to be the biggest, all I can say is I hope you can even find the Apple Store amongst the 800+ stores and 5.6 million square feet of retail space it will need to grab the title. That's not including the new additions to WEM, which will include an 8000 seat arena, 600 apartments and a 12 story office building.

From the AppleStores I have visited I would expect any new TO store to be in the Mall or location with the most cachet amonst the wealthier citizens, and they tend to favor locations near the wealthiest suburbs, so downtown is probably off the list. Still, Apple is a lot less predictable than, say, Home Depot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My question is what would Apple bring to retail that an authorized Apple reseller couldn't?

Price isn't it, because they usually sell for the MSRP anyways. And find a good reseller and the genius bar is already present.

It seems that Apple Stores are just that... a reseller that is able to put the logo in their title.. and that's it.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If you've never been to an Apple Store, it's hard to imagine how it could be any different than just another retailer. But, it is very different.

Aside from Apple Hardware and software (at list price) there isn't much there. So, Apple Authorized Retailers can still do a booming business selling to their Apple customers.

What it does offer, that you can't really buy at any price, is a very inviting location, with everything working and helpful people hanging out. People who have never set foot in a computer store in their lives walk in and are blown away. And these people buy new Macs there.

Think about a housewife whose hubby does just fine, cash-wise, thank you, and has always left the techno drivel to someone else. I actually watched an obviously well off shoppers check out the window display, come in, get impressed, and walk out with a laptop for her daughter going off to college. In the 45 minutes I was at the Mall of America Apple Store, I saw about 3 systems walk out the door. The people who bought them wouldn't be caught dead at Best Buy. The GAP across the hall had 3-4 customers while the Apple Store had 40, and this was nearly a year after it opened. This is on a Monday morning, when you could have driven a truck down the halls of the Mall. Yeah, I was impressed.

Or, on another note; have you EVER walked into a computer store where there were 30 or more computers, all hooked up and running perfectly, each with some cool perephrial connected (DV camera, whatever) and absolutely everything works? Where you are invited to play around with anything? This gets the attention of those who are frustrated with their PCs at home, believe me.

As for regular Mac people, well let's just say that if I want to even SEE an iBook, I have to travel to 3 or 4 "Authorized Retailers" just to see one lone, dead, static display. If I go to an Apple Store, it's not only on display, working, but absolutely evey Mac product is in stock; I can walk away with it today.

They come in (which is a coup in itself) and they go "why doesn't our computer do that, Bob? We should get one of these Apples". It's pretty hard for Bob to mumble "there's no software" when his wife can see more Mac SW on display than Future Shop has for Windows.

Basically, AppleStores address the problems Mac uses have had with the retail chain for, I don't know, about 15 years.

·
Registered
933 Posts
GG has hit it on the head. The Apple Store is a _retail experience_, even for a jaded, chinzty, mail-order buying, cross border computer shopper like me.

You walk in and you just "feel" like buying stuff, even if you know you could probably get it a bit cheaper somewhere else.

Steve ceretainly got his money's worth from having the Gap CEO on the board (although his tenure has been recently terminated).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts