Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally "crossed to the darkside" as my buddies are telling me and bought a Mac. Problem is, before two days ago, I had NEVER EVER even looked at a Mac, never mind used one.

So now I need help. I know no other mac owners as all my people pc folks. I started searching for apple training videos online and found a site called Mac Video Training that seems to be alright. The videos look good but before I spend the money, does anyone else know of mac training-type videos like these? Easy to follow for the totally Mac-newbie like me? I mean, I know nothing about this machine and other than exploring it forever, I want to start learning specific software right away.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

·
Premium Member
31,031 Posts
Oh hell just dive in and play.

Right in your help menu at the top of your desktop is a ton if good info much of it interactive and all can be searched and topics expanded.

Index

Mac Help
What's New in Leopard?
Check out great new features.

About the Finder
The Finder manages files, applications, disks, network connections, and devices such as printers.

Exploring Mac OS X
If you're new to Mac OS X and want to explore, this is a good place to start.

SOLVING PROBLEMS
Connecting to the Internet
Using and remembering passwords
More topics...
Index
Apple
Every program then has the same kind of extensive Help menu

Index

Safari Help
About Safari
Learn how to use Safari for browsing, searching, and maintaining privacy and security.

Solving problems
Trouble? Check here for answers.

FEATURED TOPICS
Browsing in tabs
Viewing RSS pages
Improving your searches
Index
Apple

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
http://www.apple.com/mac101 - specifically aimed at Windows refugees.

Second suggestion -- a book. "Switching to the Mac - The Missing Manual" (Leopard Edition) by David Pogue. Available at all good online and offline bookstores.

Third suggestion -- locate and join your local Mac User Group. Go to google, type "(name of city, region or province) Mac User Group" and you'll generally find a link.

If not, let us know where you are and we'll happily track down the nearest resources for you.

More here: http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-t...-mac-mac-help-apple-support-mac-pro-tips.html

·
Registered
210 Posts
some suggestions

So I finally "crossed to the darkside" as my buddies are telling me and bought a Mac. Problem is, before two days ago, I had NEVER EVER even looked at a Mac, never mind used one.

So now I need help. I know no other mac owners as all my people pc folks. I started searching for apple training videos online and found a site called Mac Video Training that seems to be alright. The videos look good but before I spend the money, does anyone else know of mac training-type videos like these? Easy to follow for the totally Mac-newbie like me? I mean, I know nothing about this machine and other than exploring it forever, I want to start learning specific software right away.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

lynda.com has a number of video tutorials.

screencastonline. com has some as well.

Both of the above are paid services however - as others have mentioned, there are some very good free tutorials on the Apple site.

You might also want to go to Switchmac.Com - this is a blog site of a gentleman who is switching so you might find his content particularly relevant.

There a couple of podcasts that you may want to consider. They are free of course: typical mac user and maccast.

Lastly, there is a bundle that includes some of the basic tutorials from screencastonline and some great software ( including 1password and textexpander). I believe that the cost is US$49. Mac Switcher Bundle: Essential Software for Your New Mac

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
While holding down the Command key (either side of your spacebar) and clicking on the Tab key, you'll see a set of icons of all of the applications you are currently running.

Use that to switch over to your Finder (the picture of the square box with a smiling face inside, used to be known as a Happy Mac). Go to the menus at the top, select Help. From inside the Help menu, select 'Mac Help'.

A window will open up and inside it you should see:

What's New in Leopard?

About the Finder

Exploring Mac OS X

Select the last one. Take your time and work your way through it.

Some of it will be information that you don't need on a daily basis (i.e. System Profiler). Even as a guy who has been using Macs off and on for the past 24 years (I missed 1984, started in 85), I find myself using the online help more and more to learn about things that I never used before, or things that I haven't used in a while.

The best part is that it is with your computer at all times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.