Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intel is loaning out Itanium II based PCs to businesses for a free tryout. Apple should do likewise, loaning out 15" Powerbooks to businesses -- with an on-site rep visiting to assess needs and guide integration -- to any corporations so interested. If The Powers That Be (that would be the ones that sign the IT guys' cheques) are able to really see how smooth, flexible, productive AND SECURE the Mac platform is, Apple just might push more migration to the platform.

Ongoing maintenance costs and ROI would also have to be pushed... but, a US$500.00 business class "bMac" would definitely make a huge impact, I think. Like the eMac originally was, this bMac would be only available through corporate sales.

Think about it... a headless, Firewireless, CDRWless form factor that a techhie can easily get into would be a MAJOR plus -- with a MINOR pricetag. 1GHz G4/133MHz FSB/256MB ram/40GB drive (hell; even a 20 gigger would be more than sufficient), gigabit Ethernet, CD-ROM (or even no optical at all with OS installed and maintained, remotely). And, a plus would be DVI and analog connectors. Given how crappy XP is with security (and you can add THAT expense to the ROI comparison!) and how far off Longhorn is, now is pretty well the best time for Apple to make their biggest push, yet!

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Does the G5 Test Drives count for this? I know Apple in the States had their reps travel around the country with the G5s while in Canada it was mostly done through your local Mac reseller.

Though a cheap "Lab" machine as you dubbed the bMac would work quite well.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Test Drive programme -- as an ON-SITE effort -- is a good step... if it was as comprehensive an orientation as I would hope it to be. That would be advance assessment of the company's general needs and a prepared list of solutions (but not a quoted package) AS WELL AS armed out the whazoo with MSCE battling goodness!. But G5 Powermacs are mind-numbingly overkill for the role as a corporate client, and all-in-one form factors are a hinderance to sustaining smooth LAN client functionality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts