Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You want to see Powermac sales go through the roof? You want to see people jump ship and join the Mac crowd? Well then here is what Apple needs to do.

1) Come out with a 3.5Ghz, 5Ghz and 6Ghz machines all at once. Those would be the choices you would have. Apple would have the highest bus speed, current and fastest RAM available (Minimum 512 installed) Plus at least 4GB+ of RAM maximum

2) The customer decides which video cards to install? 64, 128 or 256? Nvidia or ATI?

3) The customer decides which hard drives to install. 80GB 120GB 200GB?

4) The customer decides which drives they want. CD-RW, DVD-R or two DVD-R's etc...

5) Apple bundles a PRO software and a consumer software package that will benefit both parties. Allowing discounts if either party wants to pre-configure some of the highend software. (Switch stuff around)

6) Apple offers all that with a price that people are willing to pay and I mean pay for what you get.

I believe if Apple came out with the above where we got to build our own from the beginning to end and give us those speeds in Ghz, you would see sales fly out the door and Apple would not know what him them in the ass. :D

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Good point, but while we're at it, bump up to 8 GHz, 16X-AGP, 512 MB DDR Radeon cards, 733 MHZ FSB, 6 MB DDR L3 cache, 480 GB hard drives (FireWire) and ..... yea, that's good.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Apple's marketing strategy involves limiting the number of options that they need to produce on their end also, that's why there are usually only 3 or 4 options of PowerMacs with a few BTO options. They limit also their dependence on several suppliers for key parts and therefore limit the number of inconvenience customers due to a lack of this part or that part.

Apple will never offer several options that you list, but there will be a day that the speed will increase.. it has to happen sometime but I doubt you would ever have that big of a jump in processing speed. You have to milk the market for every dollar as you inch your way up the scale.

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. Also, I don't think you would have the outcome you expect even if Apple did follow all your options. Apple is still seen as being the ugly duckling in the PC world, and that has to change with more marketing then the switcher campaign. As an example, (I always use this) there are people at my home town high school that don't even know what a Mac is.. they've never seen one.. an iPod is something they got to see one day on Oprah, they've never seen one up close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts