Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may read I am thinking about getting a DP G4 867 with 512mb ram, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, and ATI Radeon 9000 64mb vid card.

The only consistent issue I've been able to read about the Macs is the noise issue, but seeing how I'm a Intel based PC user I'm use to a little hum.

But besides that, I've read some people are having trouble wit he fire wire ports in that their external drives or mini DV camcorders just stop working. I've also read somethings about the superdrive.

I've also read that OSX doesn't run well at all if you have a HP scanner or printer. So I take it I can only do my printing to my HP Deskjet 960cse via my PC.

Also, I have a Wacom Tablet and a new Microsft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. To use these devices on a Mac with OSX, do I need to install drivers or should I just let OSX detect these devices?

I owuldl ike to know if anyone here has ahd any problems with these issues, I mean besides the noise thing.

My greatest fear is that I will spend $4000 (I'm only a student so this isn't cheap for me) and I'll run into problems. I have experience fixing issues ona Windows machine but I don't want to start my owning a Mac experience badly.

Does anyone know how helpful Apple would be if I had major problems right off the start? How good is there customer service? Would it be better to buy direct from Apple or from a Apple retailer like Carbon Computing?

Just to be safe, I've now decided to go wit han AppleCare plan just in case.

Also, I was talking to one of my teachers today and he really likes the new G4s but told me that they run a lot better under OSX rather then 9. If I just want to run mainly new Adobe and Macromedia software, will I ever need to run OS9? Could I just delete it if I wanted to?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to know as much before I jump into this purchase.

Thanks.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jb22:

Also, I have a Wacom Tablet and a new Microsft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. To use these devices on a Mac with OSX, do I need to install drivers or should I just let OSX detect these devices?

Also, I was talking to one of my teachers today and he really likes the new G4s but told me that they run a lot better under OSX rather then 9. If I just want to run mainly new Adobe and Macromedia software, will I ever need to run OS9? Could I just delete it if I wanted to?
Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try and answer these two... the Microsoft mouse should run if you just plug it in to the Mac.

If you haven't ever used Mac OS 9, go straight to Mac OS X. Mac OS X is way better and more stable than Mac OS 9. You don't have to remove Mac OS 9 from the HD (you can if you want), just don't install Mac OS 9 apps. Try to use Mac OS X apps.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i don't think applecare is a great thing for 3rd party devices.

also, if your hard drive dies and your data is not backed up apple dealer will just replace your drive and you're screwed for your data UNLESS u want to pay an additional charge.

i would suggest you get a mac from MacDoc, save some money and then use that money to have someone teach you about things on your mac.

David Thompson of ehmac is very good at that.

i believe it to be better bang for buck so to speak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts