Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there one out there on that program??

H!

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
Just get a credit card that pays Airmiles, and you'll rack some up. Don't get a American Express card as lots of retailers don't take Amex as they charge an arm and a leg.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
Rates are based on how much business you do with the card, and are essentially identical with any CC vendor.

My guess is you don't do much Amex, so you're paying 4% which is the highest rate (low volume); you'd pay 4% to MasterCard or VISA if your volume was that low as well.

2% is pretty low (lower than most) so you must be doing a lot of VISA/MC every month to get that rate.

Most businesses (single establlishments) pay about 3%.

My understainding (I've never been an AirMiles associated retailer, so it's just what I've heard) is the cost is in the ballpark of about a dime a mile.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Some business belong to association that can offer lower rates to businesses and single establishments.

Currently as a single establishment through a wholesalers association we pay:
VISA 1.8%
MC 2.1%

We had AMEX first and they would take 4.5% and after a while with a little volume they dropped to 4% .(BFD) :eek:

When I first started in business AMEX was the only card company that would give us a break and the abiltiy to accept CC. Once we had them then Visa and MC said 'Oh, you have AMEX, then sure you we can help you'

In my experience AMEX also was very hard to collect from, in some cases it took a week to have the charge hit my account.

Personnally I have a Visa that collects AeroPlan Miles (Air Canada) and a MasterCard for AirMiles and the one I like better Canadian Tire MasterCard that collects Canadian Time Money

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow...

well I just got on this Airmile thing. And I never carry it with me though. But I'll likely have some big purchases in the next few months (including a new PB). ;)

H!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.