Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Currently posting from my *cough* Windows 2000 Professional workstation at work place.

My Performa 5200CD is getting *very* obsolete and don't use it much anymore, except for some occasional word processing. I've lost touch of Mac technology since MAC OS 8.1.

I expect to buy a new Mac next fall, when I'll have enough money. Don't know which model yet, since all the fuzz surrounding the next PPC may have a big impact on Apple's line.

Here's my question : where is the best place in Greater Montreal to buy a Mac in terms of qualified salespersons, advices, customer service and price? I don't want to buy a crap like I did when I choose my Performa (liked it thought).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ingenu.

(Sorry for the spelling : I'll follow some english course this fall too) :cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bonjour Ingénue

J'aime bien le magasin B-Mac au 463 Sainte-Catherine Ouest. Tu peux également visiter INSO, au 6615 avenue du Parc, leur horaire d'ouverture est un peu bizarre, tel au 270-9919. Pour une boutique sympa, Coop UQUAM, 280 Sainte-Catherine Est. Évite Dumoulin et consort et tout autre magasin généraliste à grande ou très grande surface.

Salutations
Macfriend

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well I'm TOTALLY generalizing here.There is one person there that is really helpful,smart and always knows what I'm talking about.He rocks.....
Then there is the others.I've had more than one bad moment there.
I've been there for a price on the tech course a year ago.It was on the shelf,I asked how much,he said XXX$.I was there about 3 months ago looking for it again and they had no clue what I was talking about.And couldnt look it up NOR offer to call the other store to find out for me.
I've been there for odd parts and stuff.Motherboard for a Beige G3....."A..what?" was the response I got.
I understand that some stores dont have techs on hand but really....IT'S A MOTHERBOARD!What kind of training does Apple not give people.I think if you want to get a job at a computer store you should know what a motherboard it.
I've asked for a price on the IDE cable for an iBook....once again,nothing.

I'd really like to enjoy this store as they have cool stuff,cool location and it frustrates me that they arent being trained.
I've been doing CS for 2 and a half years and there is no better way to decrease sales that with lack of training.
Sorry but I've tried many times. :( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers.

Macfriend, quant à Microserv (Dorval), ça vaut quelque chose?

Sputnik, and what about the Bmac store in the West Island?

Regards,

Ingenu

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
As a former Dorval resident I can say with some authority, avoid Microserv. They have TERRIBLE after sale support...and they are kinda pricey too.

While I cannot speak to the quality of service at the B.Mac downtown, I have always found the B.Mac location on Pare street, off Decarie, very good.

Their other locations should study their service...especially the Ottawa location. Now THAT is terrible customer service.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Some time ago, my appartment was broken into and an old PB was stolen. My insurance company asked for a quote on a IBook to the Dumoulin store in St-Léonard. They offered a discontinued model at the regular price. I got a better quote a the B-mac store downtown.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wanted to put in a good word for MicroServ in Dorval... but you have to take my word with two grains of salt.

The first grain : I'm a school purchaser. My school board won't let us deal with anyone else and the store has two reps assigned to the school board alone ( we're a big school board ). We've bought many tens of thousands of dollars of equipment from them and we get good service. If we didn't, we'd do our best to take our business elsewhere.

The second grain of salt is this : service and counselling has _always_ been good. No slipups, ever. And people are always friendly and conscientious.

As one member here has it in his sig, quoting Groucho Marx : "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." For us, MicroServ seems to have faked it pretty well.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
sputnik commented:
What kind of training does Apple not give people.
Ummm... B-Mac staff are not trained, or even associated in any way, with Apple or Apple Canada. B-Mac is simply a reseller.

And my experiences at the Ottawa B-Mac have been mostly disappointing.

In truth, Compucentre at the Rideau Centre had a better selection of software on their ONE shef than B-Mac had in their entire store.

As well, the Ottawa store failed to get in any Mac OS X copies for sale on "Jaguar Day".

Apparently the manager felt he wouldn't sell more than, say, 5 copies.

Alas, the staff seem to be made up of rejects from Compaq or something.

I haven't been there in nearly a year (Jaguar Day killed it for me) and maybe they have improved. But I won't get my hopes up.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I've been to B.Mac in Ottawa many times and I've never experienced the problems you have. Service was fast, they always had (or was able to get) the stuff I was looking for, and they seemed to be knowledgable.

The only problem I've experienced is that they often don't call you when you order something - you sometimes have to call them to check.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bmac is a good place to start for mac gear. I bought 2 computers from there with lots of software. Aside from minor aggrevations found everywhere, I had good service in both french or english.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts