Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As expected, Apple updated the iMac today with quad-core processors, new graphics, Thunderbolt I/O technology and upgraded the FaceTime camera to with the capability of shooting in HD. The new iMac starts at $1,199 CDN (Same price as the US!)

“Our customers love the iMac’s aluminum enclosure, gorgeous display and all-in-one design,” says Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior VP of Worldwide Product Marketing. “With next generation quad-core processors, powerful new graphics, Thunderbolt technology and a FaceTime HD camera, we've made the world’s best desktop even better.”

The new iMac features quad-core Intel Core i5 processors with an option to choose Core i7 processors up to 3.4 GHz. These processors feature an integrated memory controller for a more responsive experience and a new media engine for video encoding and decoding.

iMac now joins some of its other siblings to include Thunderbolt I/O technology. The 21.5-inch iMac has a single Thunderbolt port while the 27-inch model features two ports. Thunderbolt features two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to 10Gbps each. Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire® and USB consumer devices, and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters. Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays.

iMac now includes a built-in FaceTime HD camera to use with Apple’s FaceTime software for widescreen video calling. The new camera supports high definition video calls between all FaceTime HD-enabled Macs and standard resolution calls with iPad 2, iPhone 4, the current generation iPod touch and other Intel-based Macs.

Nothing major as we suspected, but the slight refresh did provide us with a pricing update to more accurately reflect the strong Canadian dollar. Previous iMacs sold in Canada where $100 more expensive than their US counterparts.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Crazy. Quad-Core i5 on an entry-level iMac? Yes, please.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few other notes and observations and small rants:

A little surprised to see that the default $2000 iMac doesn't include the i7 and that it's still a CTO (Configure to Order) model.

Very interested to see the GeekBench scores on these models. :eek: :)

I really wish Apple would come out with a wireless keyboard that had a numerical pad.

Price of a 2TB Drive with 256 SSD drive option really came down. Adding the SSD drives changes the estimated shipping time to 2-3 weeks.

I really wish Apple would let customers order the high-end video cards in their low-end models. The lower-end 21.5" model iMac also doesn't let you order the SSD drive upgrade, but the higher-end 21.5" model does. Why you do that Apple? :confused: :)

All-in-all, a decent refresh though. I will be ordering on in the summer when my current iMac lease expires. Think I'll be ordering the entry level 27" Model with bigger drive and more ram.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Why you do that Apple? :confused: :)
Because the entry-level iMac is made to be purchased as is, unconfigured, at the base price (minus a RAM upgrade if desired).

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because the entry-level iMac is made to be purchased as is, unconfigured, at the base price (minus a RAM upgrade if desired).
But why? :) What if someone only wants the entry level processor but more storage?

Sneaky ways to take our money I tell you. Sneaky! :) Them darn Apple for making nice things. :D

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I really wish Apple would let customers order the high-end video cards in their low-end models. The lower-end 21.5" model iMac also doesn't let you order the SSD drive upgrade, but the higher-end 21.5" model does. Why you do that Apple? :confused: :)
Forget the SSD... Apple won't let you upgrade the hard drive at all in the base iMac! That's ridiculous... there's no technical reason for it. That's kind of a douche move to force people into the more expensive model. Not impressed, Apple.

A7

·
Apple Enthusiast
881 Posts
This is a great udpate and exactly what I was hoping for. I'm getting one. It's time to part with my great MBP and go back to the iMac :) My MBP is for sale if anyone is interested (in classified section).

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
And I don't understand why 500GB and even 1TB options are available, with 2TB drives so cheap why not make them standard

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
And I don't understand why 500GB and even 1TB options are available, with 2TB drives so cheap why not make them standard
Probably because 1TB drives are cheap(er) and help pad the margins for Apple.

Also, I know a lot of people who buy these machines for older users, parents, etc... Those user will never use 1TB of space, let alone 2TB.

On a completely unrelated note, TUAW is reporting that Target Display Mode is gone with these new models:

Target Display Mode missing in action on new iMacs

How crap is that? One of the awesome features of my 27" iMac is the ability to plug my laptop into it to take over the screen when I'm at home with the laptop... :S

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
When has Apple *ever* been reasonable with their options pricing?? There is a reason they have over $65B in the bank... Apple makes 3 times the profit margins on their computer compared the the rest of the industry (FYI, Apple dealers only make 4% margins on Apple stuff so it's not like their padding their bank accounts on their account)

+1 on the US parity pricing though. About friggin time.

·
Premium Member
17,823 Posts
Reactions: MannyP Design

·
Registered
118 Posts
A few other notes and observations and small rants:

A little surprised to see that the default $2000 iMac doesn't include the i7 and that it's still a CTO (Configure to Order) model.

Very interested to see the GeekBench scores on these models. :eek: :)

I really wish Apple would come out with a wireless keyboard that had a numerical pad.

Price of a 2TB Drive with 256 SSD drive option really came down. Adding the SSD drives changes the estimated shipping time to 2-3 weeks.

All-in-all, a decent refresh though. I will be ordering on in the summer when my current iMac lease expires. Think I'll be ordering the entry level 27" Model with bigger drive and more ram.
I have seen Bluetooth keyboards with the numeric keyboard at Best Buy for slightly less than the Apple BT Keyboard. It is under the Rocketfish brand name.

I also understand that if you wait a bit, Matias is reported to be coming out with a BT version of the great Tactile Pro keyboard.

·
Registered
437 Posts
target display still there

On a completely unrelated note, TUAW is reporting that Target Display Mode is gone with these new models:

Target Display Mode missing in action on new iMacs

How crap is that? One of the awesome features of my 27" iMac is the ability to plug my laptop into it to take over the screen when I'm at home with the laptop... :S
from the macrumours article (updated)
UPDATE: Macrumors spoke with an Apple rep who said the feature is still supported on the new models (through the Thunderbolt ports), despite not being mentioned on the tech specs page. Pitchforks down, everyone! As you were.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts