Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So because of the impending discontinuation of the Mac Mini (rumours that I believe are plausible), I cracked and _finally_ purchased one after putting it off for close to a year. I ended up getting a 1.83ghz model from Apple's refurb site. However, the system was only supposed to have 512 megs of ram. Imagine my surprise when I open system profiler and see 1 gig!! Woo hoo!

Now if I can only figure out wtf is up with the 'mystery chime' that is haunting the computer... see here:

http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/54263-refurb-mini-mystery-chime.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I mean a strange harp-like jingle (sort of like the XP start up/shut down) randomly plays whenever. I've never heard this 'jingle' before either on my PowerBook. I can be web browsing, or watching a movie in front row.. I'm even reinstalled OS X with an 'erase and install'. I've never seen/heard anything like it before.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Does it do it with no other software installed? In other words, did it start doing it immediately after the clean install or did it take some time and is it possible it was something you installed?

Did you go through the alert noises in the Sound pref pane to see if it was any of those and did you try playing with any of the settings in there for interface sounds?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it started when nothing was installed. Well, the refurb discs force a full install of OS X and iLife '06 (incl. Garage Band), so that stuff was installed. I checked the sounds in the system preferences pane and none of them matched. I figured it could be a Garage Band jingle, so I trashed the app/folder.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Could it be the "ping" of a pending hard disk failure? I've heard that sound many times before... like a metallic ping with a trailing echo (I'm guessing the head bouncing off the HD platter).

Is the sound coming from the speakers, or from the Mac? Plug in headphones and see if the sound goes away. Then you'll know if the sound is mechanical (hardware) or artificial (software).

A7

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is definitely coming from the speakers, and it is definitely a soundfile somewhere in OS X.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.