Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not encouraging...

Last month, as regular readers will remember, my pal's iMac (FP 700) died a hard drive death. Lost everything. One month out of warranty. :(

This month, my other pal "Switched", and bought a new 12" PB combo drive. I installed the Airport card for him, and he went away pretty happy (except for the lack of a chess client for the online site he's used for years).

Then he called. It wouldn't turn on.... all the way. The screen stayed dark, but the HD spun up, etc. Off to the shop - turns out the Airport card wasn't fully seated, which is a common occurance for this model if you look through Apple's discussion forums. So they pushed it in with a bit more force than I used, and sent him on his way, happy.

Then he called. He had just run the Airport 3.1.1 update (following my advice to let Software Update do its thing), and now his machine was dead. Completely. Off to the shop - they say his logic board is completely dead.

WTF? An Airport update causing a dead logic board?

And it gets worse...

The artist's centre where I volunteer ordered two eMacs. I was on hand to do setup. The first one was DOA out of the box. The 2nd, thankfully, works (from which I'm posting this).

Now, sure, this is anecdotal, isolated, blah blah blah, but - they're dead Macs among three people I know, and in two cases are brand-new machines, the third just a year old.

Not encouraging, particularly when one of the three is a newcomer to the Mac....

M.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Are you sure you didn't break a mirror, walk under a ladder or something similar in the last while? ;)

My guess is that you finding that many problems near you is a coincidence, as more people will claim they've had computers run properly (notice not perfectly as each computer for some reason has its own personality) then those people who say they haven't.

You could always hold a horseshoe when you help someone with a Mac.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I've had 3 personal experience with Macs (Performa 6360 with a fried motherboard -- 2 weeks out of the box), an iMac 266 (bad keyboard), and an iMac 400 (bad keyboard and mouse).

So far, my iMac G4 FP has been error-free and working beautifully.

The thing is, one has to remember that environment comes into a factor as you never know how long, or exactly where you Mac was last stored prior to purchase. My iMac 400 was most likely sittinging in a dank warehouse for at least 8 months (according to the date of assembly) since the mouse had rust on the USB connector when I bought it. I didn't really notice until I had to take it in for exchange of a better one.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I've had two eMacs fail on me. both within 2 weeks of purchase. I dont undestand how apple lets this stuff get through quality control. I know they cant test every computer but c'mon.
I don't think i ever had a PC part fail on me. Im not saying that PCs are better, its just a fact. of course ive had friends who bought PCs and they failed out of the box or shortly thereafter.
Anyhow, i'll never go back to PC.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The problems with Apple computer are minimal compared to other manufacturers. The biggest problem right now is most of the computer parts are manufactured by the same companies and therefore if there is a bad batch of logic boards, everyone should theoretically be affect.. every company that is.. I always recommend to folks buying Macs to pick up AppleCare; it exists for a reason you know.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Wow, I have had no problems, up to date with the three macs I have owned (I hope I dont jinx myself). I had a Sony Vaio notebook and the HD failed within a few months. I guess it is sometimes the luck of the draw. Its just a shame because buying apple care is expensive, and only worthwhile if you have a problem. Unfourtunatly you can not anticipate if you will have a problem. I decided against extending my Apple care. There is a good way to make money. Do what the car companies do and make computers break down after a few years
They could make millions and keep the industry going. I wont be surprised if they do this in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Then he called. He had just run the Airport 3.1.1 update (following my advice to let Software Update do its thing), and now his machine was dead. Completely. Off to the shop - they say his logic board is completely dead.

WTF? An Airport update causing a dead logic board?

Mark, it wouldn't have been the AirPort Update itself, but probably the restart after the update. Think about light bulbs, when do they burn out? Not while in use but rather right when you turn them on and there is a power spike through the wire.

This is also why it is better for a desktop computer to remain on than to turn it off all the time.

--PB

·
Premium Member
17,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Moonsocket, nope, I'm down here in Halifax (with occasional forays to Toronto and Havana ;) ) ...maybe you're thinking of Capucine, who is in Montreal (and who has been absent for awhile, no?)

As for my buddy's PB, it should be back today. Will post results when they're known... hoping that they put it together with somewhat more care than the first time...

:mad:
M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts