Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought 5 new eMacs from Apple: 800MHZ, CD-ROM models. As a school, we were offered an incentive to purchase a 5-pack eMac deal at $5595.99. Actually, we were pushed to buy the eMac package now.

Well, I get an e-mail from our Apple contact informing us about the NEW eMacs (http://www.apple.com/ca/emac). Our cost per machine would be $1099.99 with combo drives. That works out to being $100.00 cheaper for better machines -> Just a matter of two weeks since receiving our order - which was delayed.

What recourse (if any) do we have? Can we return the eMacs and get the new machines?

We ordered an iBook for a mobile media cart. It was the 800MHZ CD-ROM model. We PAID for one, but this too has been delayed on order. The Apple contact sent me an email asking if we wanted the NEW iBook instead (g4 with combo).

In theory, we could return our eMacs too....right? Or, since we received the order, are we screwed? I mean, it's not like we're talking about a month or two since ordering.

Thoughts? MacDoc? What would you do?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think Apple has some sort of a price drop match policy and if I remember correctly, it goes like this:

If the computer you purchased drops in price within two weeks of purchase, Apple will give you a credit. Of course you have to ask for it.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
That $1099 price is the Apple store price, I would assume the ed discount price would be $999. I would get very angry if I were in your situation. It's educational dollars being spent. They should upgrade the ones purchased, or get a store credit for future purchases.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ErnstNF for your reply. I am beyond furious here.

Mini-vent:

I have FOUGHT long and hard to get my Board to realize that Macs are the way to go in so many ways (more than just movie-making boxes). My new principal is a visionary who helped push through the purchase of these machines using Board funds. And why not? Our kids deserve the best - not the refurbished, thrown together boxes we get from MDG or Tandex that are ALWAYS on repair (just sent 7 in today for MOBO servicing).

Major venting starting now:

I invited Apple to demonstrate their 'wares, plus working with them to lead a workshop on wireless tech...and this is how I am treated? (i.e. low end gear at an abysmal price masked as a special deal). They really pushed this package on me, plus asked for me to contact all the powers-at-be to showcase Apple product.

I have in fact acted as a salesperson and managed to convert several staff and students to the way of the Mac.

Vent over.

Sorry. That feels a little better. I will post my results of my talks with Apple over the next few days for those who may face similar circumstances.

:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh......you were right about the educational discount. However it comes to about -$140.00 per machine.

Now I am mad.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Can't really help you with your dilemma, but perhaps I can help you a little with your vent.

Speaking as a marketing-person (I don't work for Apple, so all of this is a guess) chances are the salespeople you worked with didn't know about the new machines or the upcoming price drop.

Salespeople typically aren't given this information until the product launches, because in practice it leads to information getting leaked, lower sales, and furious customers who go elsewhere after salespeople promise a release date that ends up slipping. OTOH, you still get furious customers when situations like yours occur. Sort of a lose-lose situation.

I'd be angry too, but the people you were working with probably weren't trying to mislead you -- they probably didn't know either.

Best of luck with Apple.

·
Registered
470 Posts
im not sure if you have seen this, but it may help - this is from the terms and conditions for all education purchasers from the apple.ca website:

The Apple Store endeavours to offer you competitive prices on current Apple products and selected clearance products. Your total order price will include the price of the product (on the day of shipping) plus any applicable sales tax and expedited shipping charges. Apple reserves the right to change prices for products displayed at the Apple Store at any time.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-MY-APPLE to request a credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the credit you must notify Apple within 14 days of shipment. In the event a credit is given to you, the same credit card that you used to make your purchase will be credited.
direct link:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/canadaEnglishTC.html#_Prices

1 - 7 of 7 Posts