Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one-year old MBP under Applecare.

One pixel has died bang in the middle of the screen - highly annoying - and another is flickering on/off.

What needs to happen for Apple to agree to repair or swap the screen?

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
I'm very surprised you can see 1 pead pixel on a high rez screen.
Not likely Apple will do anything unless it's a cluster.

The flickering one is another matter......they MIGHT.

Sometimes pixels will turn back on /stop flickering if massaged gently but careful - at your own risk.
Maybe try Apple first.
Some info here

New Macbook Dead Pixel [Archive] - Mac Forums

caveat emptor

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doc. Will try this when I return home...

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It worked!

I used the 'magic cloth' I use to clean my screen and computer and gently rubbed it both on the dead and flickering pixels and voila: screen as good as new!

:clap:

·
Registered
119 Posts
It worked!

I used the 'magic cloth' I use to clean my screen and computer and gently rubbed it both on the dead and flickering pixels and voila: screen as good as new!

:clap:
Are you kidding me? That actually works?! I thought it was a myth, haha!

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Are you kidding me? That actually works?! I thought it was a myth, haha!
I searched for the pixel restoration on snopes.com and found nothing. Therefore, it is neither a myth nor an urban legend... : ,

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me, this pixel was bang in the middle of the screen. Couldn't ignore it... Also it was a real pixel: white on a black background, gray on a white one. I even double checked that it wasn't a speck of grime.

The only thing I can report is that it took seconds, so I guess that either it works immediately or it doesn't . But that's with a sample size of one... :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
It worked for me before too.... it wasn't quite a dead pixel though.

Someone threw a paper airplane at me, but it missed and the point on the plane hit the screen on my iMac. It was sort of "bruised" where it hit so I massaged it a bit.... turned off the iMac, pressed gently with a microfibre cloth for my glasses, and turned the screen back on. It worked well, but also, this same method didn't work for my GF's stuck pixel on a generic LCD.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tried it on my sisters laptop. That was scary, it took 2 seconds... Friggen hell!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Depends if the pixel is dead or is stuck.

If it's dead........it's dead, but if it's stuck you have a chance to revive it.
i don't think its dead because it's red on a black background and green on a white background... i dunno. do you think its stuck or dead judging from that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts