Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MacUpgradeZone.com posted an article on the Apple Pismo verus the Apple iBook 800 MHz. The article is strictly-opinion-based, and makes no comment on which is better. It simply states the goods, bads, and evens of both. You can check this out here: http://www.macupgradezone.com/article.html-pismotradeup

Thought it would be interesting for some of you. ;)

Take Note: MacUpgradeZone will ignore flamed-emails or other unacceptable unpolite feedback. If you don't agree, take it out easily.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I agree with the article but not with the premis of upgrading to the ibook.

Pismo to ibook is not an upgrade. Pismo to Ti is.

I love my Pismo!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks so much for pointing out this article!

I was seriously thinking of ditching my Pismo before I read this... whew pretty close

I'd be giving up way too much.

Pismo STILL rocks! :D

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Good comparison. I liked the chart. One thing I must point out though, is that the chart indicates that the Pismo does not have infrared, when it in fact does.

I should know...I used it frequently. I don't know if the iBook has it, but the Pismo rocks!!! :D ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
Good comparison. I liked the chart. One thing I must point out though, is that the chart indicates that the Pismo does not have infrared, when it in fact does.

I should know...I used it frequently. I don't know if the iBook has it, but the Pismo rocks!!! :D ;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize it did.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From The Article:The Apple Pismo is also running with a 1 MB backside cache and a 100 MHz system bus -- the same specs of the latest iBook. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the latest iBook has a G3 (IBM 750FX) with a 512k on die L2 cache, running at full processor speed, while the PowerBook G3 FireWire has a 1MB Backside L2 cache running I believe at 5:2, so if the Processor is 500MHz, the Cache is 200MHz (or so I understand, I am sure GordGuide can confirm this). 512K at 800 MHz is faster than 1MB at 200 MHz.

Just a minor point.

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Also, while the iBook only has one Firewire port vs the Pismos 2, the iBooks FireWire controller is substantially newer and more advanced, so it can sustain higer transfer rates than the Pismo can, probably as much as the two firewire ports the Pismo has combined, if not more.

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From The Article again:
The Pismo even has a S-Video out port, which gave the Pismo two separate ways of getting out video (along with the VGA connector)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And actually, while it is an optional part, for 30$ give or take, you can buy a little dongle for the iBook that gives it both S-Video and Composite Video output. It goes in place of the VGA dongle that comes standard, so in effect the iBook can have Three ways to get video out.

I think that the Pismo S-Video Port does feature the three extra pins for an Composite dongle too though (if someone can confirm this that would be great).

This would place the Pismo only ever so slightly above the iBook, as it comes with said connectors, while you have to purchase an extra piece for the iBook.

Maybe i should write another feature on the same subject, or maybe from the point of view of a new buyer rather?

--PB

PS, yes, I love the iBook.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The article was strictly based on stock machines -- not "You can buy this extra cable for S-Video on the iBook." However, the backside cache issue is correct as PosterBoy pointed out. They are different, and I will change that. A 1 MB cache L2 is usually faster than a 512K L2 cache, but as the ratio are different, the iBook slices better. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Dongle, shmongle. I would take a 500MHz Pismo over a new iBook any day. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
One point that the piece brought up was the upgrade path to a G4 processor. That's something that I did read about some time back. But, I've yet to run into, or hear about anyone doing it. does anyone here know someone that completed this G4 upgrade? Would love to hear about it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
If anyone wants to donate to the "Heart Fund" I would be willing to take up the challange and upgrade my 400 Pismo with the G4 500 Upgrade Card.

You can email me the cash. Small unmarked bills, no mechanical reproductions accepted. :D

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Oh Heart...you are truly cut from a sacred cloth. What a selfless sacrifice. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
How does the G4 with 8 MB video stack up against the iBook G3 with 16 MB video I would have to say for Jaguar it would make a huge difference? The Pismos look great and you can expand but the 8MB video kinda brings it down and the G4 upgrade is very expensive and may have a cooling problem at least someone who was selling one said that the fan kept going on and others he said had the same problem ( I was comtemplating buying a Pismo but went with the iBook because of the 16MB video and for about the same price on ebay I got an iBook with Jaguar). If Apple was smart and we know that they are they should come out with a new G3 or G4 powerbook Pismo2 and make it with a 16 - 32 meg video they would sell like crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Clockwork
Except for the lowend iBook all the new iBooks have 32 megBs of vram.
The iBook with 800mhz, 32 vram, jag cds and Applecare for a year make getting a used Pismo a little unreasonable, but then Pismo's are so popular here they get traded like bubblegum cards.
The extra firewire port is minor, the only thing missing is monitor spanning that would make the iBook the superior machine. Of course prices always eventually adjust to the market. An example of this in 1997 I really wanted a Color Classic. The going rate was about $500 for a really outdated machine that held it's value due to the cool factor. Now a Color Classic is lucky to get $80 in excellent condition, old Quadras now go for $30 bucks.
All machines have their time in the sun, the superdrive TiBook may be the next hot Mac to command a premium used value.
Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts