Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, Apple now sells refurbished iPhones in Canada.

Finally. Starting September 2021.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
At some point Amazon began selling refurbished iPhones--which received terrible reviews from buyers. I'm sure this will work out better. I'm a big fan of buying late. Just upgraded to the iPhone 8 for $190.

·
Premium Member
16,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm a big fan of buying late. Just upgraded to the iPhone 8 for $190.
I guess I do the same thing, but don't even purchase anything, as my wife's hand-me-downs work fine.

My cell phone service (7-11 Speakout) sent me a message at the end of 2020 that they could no longer support my old Samsung flip phone, so I thought I could use my wife's old iPhone 4 that worked well when I transferred the SIM card over to it. It works just fine for my use.

I am currently modifying a bracket to hold it on the new mobility cart I bought for myself so that I will have a speedometer and odometer display that I got for my wife several years ago that works very well. Luckily I kept a copy as it is no longer available through the App Store and most of the newer apps will not run in iOS 7 that it uses, and the others are garbage and nothing but advertising.

The App Store may pride itself on having thousands of apps available, but that doesn't mean much to me when 90+% of them are absolute crap or full of ads etc. so much that they are basically useless. And damned if I am going to pay to see what they would look like normally if they can't even provide a short-duration demo.

Anyway, the price for the iPhone 4 was quite affordable, even if a bit delayed, but suits my low usage well. The 7-11 prepaid Speak-Out Service cost me about $25 per year!!! My wife got a used iPhone 6s after her iPhone 6 ended up at the bottom of Tod Inlet when the canoe she was in tipped. Amazing the improvements between the two cameras and the 6s can still run the most recent iOS version, and the same prepaid service cost us about $100 a year for her iPhone as she uses her iPhone much more than I do.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,877 Posts
The screen of my 6S fractured, so I figured I would move up a little. Don't like most of those apps either. Was trying to find a simple Alarm Clock App that would play an iTunes song at the appointed time. High prices (on subscription no less), in-App ads, 10-year old Apps, and devastating reviews had me leaving the App store in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
44 Posts
At some point Amazon began selling refurbished iPhones--which received terrible reviews from buyers. I'm sure this will work out better. I'm a big fan of buying late. Just upgraded to the iPhone 8 for $190.
I picked up a refurbished 6s in 2018 for about $400 from Amazon. No problems so far. I'm looking at upgrading next year when iOS 16 is released. Unless Apple will still allow the 6s to get 16. But not holding my breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts