Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple has released a statement confirming that they are not at all interested in buying up Universal Music.

From Yahoo:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030416/sfw079_1.html
<blockquote>
CUPERTINO, Calif., April 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- "Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL - News) has never made any offer to invest in or acquire a major music company. The press statements this morning attributed to Vivendi board member Claude Bebear are untrue, as Mr. Bebear has confirmed in a later report," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Beyond these comments, we will abide by Apple's policy of not commenting on rumors."
</blockquote>

Strange that they would go out of their way to make a statement about a rumour, as they haven't done so in dog knows how long now.

This doesn't mean that the rumours about a music service are untrue though, in fact Apple might have just been in talks about licensing music for the service. note, it doesn't deny they talked.

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
But most rumours don't wipe $300 million off your share price. It's a carefully worded release. Doesn't exclude the possibility of an acquisition. I also think this is all blown up from the new music download service. It wouldn't make sense to offer only downloads from a single series of labels. Also, it might be a tool to deflect a barrage of questions surrounding the financial report today. Maybe they'd rather the reporting focus on their results and not rumours of $6 billion buy-outs?

As an aside, it looks like Bronfman may even be trying a management buy-out of Universal.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Heh - note the jump in Apple's stock in the graph next to the article - it occurs around the article posting time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i was watching msnbc stock watch this morning and they were talking about apple dip due to the rumor...

it was sad. and then i fell back asleep.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Apple has released a statement confirming that they are not at all interested in buying up Universal Music.
Actually, that is not true. Apple has issued a statement saying they have "not made an offer."

This does not mean thay are not "interested."

It's all in the spin my friends.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
As a share holder, I sincerely hope they are not thinking of making any offer. The music business is too iffy right now.

They would have to have some dilly of a plan up their sleeve before I would give my seal of approval.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts