Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Register has noticed the click battle at Forbes Magazine regarding the popularity of Jobs vs. that of Ballmer.

The story has a Windows user saying, "The one question I really want them to answer is...'If Steve Jobs is doing such a wonderful job for AAPL, why is AAPL's market share decreasing quarter after quarter with an all time low of 1.9%'"

Does 1.9 per cent really reflect Apple's market share? Is there a web site with the "official" numbers?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
No, he made it up. The lowest I've ever heard was 2.4 but even that was missing a lot. I would estimate the share of Macs in use to PCs in use to be around 10% - but there is no *real* statistic.

But anyway, who cares. Each year there are more Mac users. How many PC users there are is irrelevant. It's market that counts, not market share.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The number that seems to be tossed around a lot is 3%, which I'm inclined to believe is close to reality. If you take a look at Google's zeitgeist, Macs account for about 3% of the operating systems used to access Google (and that number has been fairly constant for the past couple of years).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Apple does have some long term problems. The education market is dropping like a stone & its share in the international (non-USA) is not expanding. Even Japan, a traditional Apple market, has been static. if Apple wants to sell more hardware and software it should look to Europe and to China and other developing countries for new markets. One problem is that the technical folks who develop & maintain systems have all been trained on Windows systems and have little knowledge or interest in supporting Macs. Anyone see many Macs around computer science departments at universities lately? Probably not.
We like our Macs but our wants are increasingly irrelevant in the computer world-----in Canada and elsewhere.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lower the prices of your products, Apple. Or, please make the $$$ equal the performance! I've flamed about this before but that's the big way they'll "reach out" to the market and grab new converts.

Apple, please update your PowerBooks tomorrow. They're WAY TOO "long in the tooth." YES THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN REHASHED OVER AND OVER.

I'll be seriously pi$$ed if something isn't announced tomorrow or later this week. $$$'s itchin'. :D

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
How about a true 64-bit processor in a super-slim metal cased laptop with five hours of battery time?

A laptop(Powerbook) that has a faster system bus and backside cache than anything on the planet? And ports that will handle ANY and ALL externals...at unprecedented speeds?

It's ALL there. Apple has it all available on different machines. Want to bet that they won't put it together for a decent retail price? Perhaps with multiple processors and Super drive built right in.

Man...I WANT one!!

I bet a lot of other folks will too. :D
:cool:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
BTW...put a reasonably quick factory installed emulator into the mix....one that will run ANY software at a decent useable speed....and the whole world will hack a ragged and very fast path to your door.

Trust me on this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Apple reminds me of Matrox (the company I work for). Both companies have low market share, both offer more expensive products that are pretty much the "Rolls Royce" of the industry, and both have been around and will continue to be around even as competition dominates. They fill a niche that the others don't care to or prefer not to approach.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I wouldn't go by Googles numbers at all. Only Safari has google searching built-in. The millions of OS 9 users using Sherlock for web searching that do not access Google. There are also quite a bit of OS X users that don't use Safari as well. An aggregate of Google's and several other search engines is probably more appropriate and accurate.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
hayesk,

I'd imagine there are a fair number of Camino and Internet Explorer users that use Google as their primary search engine despite it not being built into their browser. Also, I'd imagine there are a fair number of Windows users that don't use Google as their primary search engine.

So while Google might not catch every single Mac user out there, Google doesn't catch every single Windows user out there, either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts