Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally decided to take the plunge to get rid of my last OS 9 application.

I have been using MS Outlook Express for all my mail (the only OS 9 classic app for several years) simply because it had one feature Mail didn't, but with Leopard coming (no classic support I believe) I decided to switch to Apple mail.

I had previously, a couple of years ago, tried to move my existing mail from OE to Apple Mail, but was unsuccessful - the importing always somehow got stuck about 3/4 way through - not this time, it took two hours to import into Apple mail (was over 1 Gig) plus a few seconds for the address book and so far things look good.

One question - is there any place where they explain what the mail symbols mean.
For instance, I have a column with a flag header in my inbox - the very left in the picture below. The column is either empty, or I get a symbol that I figured out means mail thinks it's spam, I can also highlight a message by putting a stylized flag into that column, but then I also have a "dash" against some mailboxes - what does that mean?
Is there a table or saomething in the mail help file that will tell you what all the symbols mean that mail uses?

·
Registered
867 Posts
In Mail, go to the View menu, select Customize Toolbar - there you will have all the choices, with each of the symbols showing with its name, so you will know what each one stands for. You can also choose to have them show using Icon Only,, Text Only, or Icon & Text. Good luck. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I have seen that.
This covers the toolbar only - I'm looking for the meaning of the symbols in the inbox columns, specifically the "-" in the flag column.

Here is a longer view of it:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Messages with a blue dot next to them are new & have not yeet been read; those with an arrow curving away have been replied to; those with a straight arrow pointing at them I think are received as part of a mailing list. Those are the ones I know - use Mail Help for other hints & tips. Keep smiling.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Oh, & the paper clip shows there is an attachment.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - I knew all those - and I already tried Mail Help with no luck.

The only one I don't know what it means is the dash, the hyphen ( - ) in the "Flag column" as I mentioned in my original email.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still haven't found any place where it tells you what the symbols in Mail mean, but I figured out two in the flag column with some testing:

- means low priority message
!! means high priority message

1 - 9 of 9 Posts