Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post and I am not sure if this topic has been previously addressed, but I will post it anyway.

Being a Mac lover, I want to use as much Apple software on my Mac as possible. So a while ago I installed Apple's Mail program and stopped using Entourage. There are a number of things that frustrate me about Mail however.

There doesn't seem to be any support for CSS. As a web developer I design and send out HTML emails for clients, but Mail does not render CSS and has difficulty with tables. Has anyone heard whether Apple is going to rectify this?

I love the Junk filter, but there is also no way that I know of to read replies to messages from the original as you could in Entourage.

These are only a couple of issues, but I would love to hear other opinions on this topic. I don't want to go back to Entourage, but may be forced to if Apple doesn't get this together.

Thanks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I hate you! I hate people that send CSS or other web $%#&$ as e-mail. RTF if you must, plain text if you please.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I agree with Britnell. Well, sort of. I don't hate you. You seem quite polite. I'm sure you mean well, but HTML email is terrible. Here's why:

Bad for email readers:
it's inconsistent, it invites nasty spam (what if the email has a link to an image on a web server
- a spammer can easily verify addresses with codes in the URL). It's a good idea to turn it off.
- it's big. It clogs the internet and takes longer to download (especially if you are on dialup)

Bad for senders:
- you get people mad at you ;)
- email clients are inconsistent (lots of people use, and prefer, text only email)
- some people turn off HTML rendering, others filter it straight to the trash

Best solution: send plain text email with a link to a web page with your ad, message, whatever.

I love the Junk filter, but there is also no way that I know of to read replies to messages from the original as you could in Entourage.
When I click on a message, all of the replies are highlighted in yellow. Look in the prefs to turn that on.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Ha, this is funny...I got rid of Mail, Entourage, etc. because they did show HTML/CSS email...

Instead, I shelled out big bucks for Mailsmith . It will never render HTML email and it will never send it, either. If it can, Mailsmith will convert HTML/CSS email into plain text and create an HTML attachment in either case, thus giving the user the option to view the email in a browser or if it's spam to kill it. It also has a POP Monitor built in which allows the user to view and delete messages directly from the ISP's server without downloading to the local disk.

...anyway, nothing but plain text for me, thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
iDextrus, sorry that your first post has been greeted by such a passionate (hateful? :D ) response... I'm sure you're a responsible CSS/HTML emailer, one who only sends such emails to persons who want to receive 'em, right? ;)

CSS / HTML-based email is, however, just plain evil. As a listowner who manages info for several different groups, HTML-based email is a nightmare. We inevitably have users on our lists, wedded to Outlook Express and Entourage, who send messages in those formats and our server's spam filter just chucks everything that resembles HTML mail to me for approval/disposal. I must get a dozen a day...

Anyway, that's not the question you asked, eh? ksp noted that Mail does handle CSS/HTML. I suggest popping over to the Mac OS X / Mail & Address Book forum at http://discussions.info.apple.com where there seems to be lots of opinions on the merits of Mail.

M.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Obviously people have issues with HTML mail, but since it's your business I'm sure your clients want to see it as rendered.

Since any eMail program is not really a browser, however (and each renders html a little differently) I would suggest to your clients that you want to "improve your service" by using OSX's built-in support for PDF to send screenshots of your pages rendered in a true browser (command-shift-4 gives you the selectible cursor while command-shift-3 gives a fullscreen image).

Note: Jag saves screenshots as PDFs but if you use an earlier version, it will save them in another format. If that's the case with you, just select the resulting file and go to the print dialog (File:print), and save as PDF there.

PDF files will render perfectly X-platform and you can easily send them as attachments. Clients can view them with the free Acrobat viewer knowing that what they see is what they get when viewed with real browsers rather than the often inconsistent eMail renderers.

" ... but there is also no way that I know of to read replies to messages from the original as you could in Entourage. ..."

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, could you elaborate a bit?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thanks for your responses, CubaMark and GordGuide. Idextrus is a new member, and I didn't think his inquiry deserved such strong, negative responses. I get all kinds of solicited emails in html and I don't mind them at all. It's the unsolicited stuff I dislike, and granted, it usually is in the form of html.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate any response as that is what this forum is about. And I also share the sentiment of many of your responses.

I myself do not like html email, but that was not my question. I had used Pine on Unix as my mail client until very recently, which is as plain text as they come. However, whether you like it or not, html email, spam, and the like are here to stay. I am just trying to find a way of delivering it in as compact and unobtrusive method as possible to an opt in membership list of graphic designers who may have different needs than many of you.

This is not my initiative. I have a client who pays me quite well to deliver marketing materials to their members, members who are welcome to unsubscribe with the click of a link. Emails sent to date have shown as very positive response as sales spike for 7-10 days following the blast with unsubs running at under 2%.

My point is that the majority of recipients of these emails are Mac users and with Apple pushing the use of Apple apps, I would think that they would care to be on par with something built by Microsoft with regards to its rendering of html. Whether or not you like it is of no consequence.

I guess that Britnell's sig file accurately reflects his opinion...

Thanks all.

-------------
G4 DP867, PB G3 400, iMac 333, Power Center 150, Powerbook 180, Mac Plus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts