Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

About a week ago, I noticed my mail being really slow. It doesn't matter which mailbox i'm using. Everytime I either select a different mailbox or select a different message the dreaded apple spinning beach ball appears...after a few seconds it goes away. I can't figure it out....Perhaps I have too many e-mails in my inbox?

I thought perhaps I have too many e-mails in my inbox, the issue does not affect my other macs, just my Mac Pro so that can't be it.

Running El Capitan
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
OS SSD (499GB - 122GB Free)

·
Premium Member
16,027 Posts
About a week ago, I noticed my mail being really slow.

Try booting into Safe Boot Mode, run Disk Utility repair/verify if you like and then just restart normally. It may help as that will purge a lot of surplus junk.

It wouldn't hurt to try rebuilding your Mail mailboxes. Oh

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your Mail still slow???

Did you find a fix???

- Patrick
=======
Nothing has worked....rest of the mac runs great. Just 'mail' Overtime i select a message or a new mailbox it just lags...
I ran disk utility in safe mode, but not affecting mail.

·
Premium Member
16,027 Posts
Nothing has worked....rest of the mac runs great. Just 'mail' Overtime i select a message or a new mailbox it just lags...

Have you tried calling your ISP customer service or whoever serves up your email and ask if they may have some suggestions or a fix???

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
rebuild the index and down load cocktail for mac and clear the cache

·
Registered
98 Posts
About a week ago, I noticed my mail being really slow.
The first thing that I'd try, surprisingly, is to turn off, or even better, uninstall, any third party anti-virus program that you have running. Restart your Mac and see if things are better. Modern anti-virus utilities interact with your e-mail program, and can cause instability.

If that doesn't help, the next thing that I'd do is disable, or upgrade, or uninstall any Mail add-ins or helper apps. (e.g. Mail Act-on, SpamSieve, GPGMail).
Afterwards, restart your Mac and see if things are better.

If they aren't, then you might begin suspecting a corrupted/malicious e-mail that is causing Mail to choke. The way to deal with that is to log into your ISP's mail server using the Web-based interface most ISP's provide and to delete the problematic e-mail manually. The problematic one is usually easy to spot. It's usually either spammy or unreadable. (i.e. it's usually e-mail that you would delete anyway.) If your ISP doesn't offer a Web interface, you can use:

MyPOPBarrier (free):

Select the desired Inbox in the Sidebar of Mail
Do a Command + I on it
A popup window will appear which, in most cases, will display a list of the messages on the server.. except...
In Catalina it's a bit different:

If that doesn't work, I'd quit Mail, move Mail's "Mail Downloads" folder (in your user Library folder) to the desktop, relaunch mail, and see if the problem is gone. If it is, your problem is a corrupted e-mail attachment.
To get there in recent versions of the MacOS (where the user Library is invisible),
In the Finder
Option-click the Go menu
Your ~/Library will appear in the menu

Dump all of Mail's log files:
~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail/

Quickly rebuild mailboxes to update the messages in it.

• Select a mailbox in the Mail sidebar, then choose Mailbox --> Rebuild

This will empty the mailbox and rebuild it from the server.

You can clean up Mail's index of all your emails by:
navigate to a folder in your user directory. it’s ~/Library/Mail/VN/MailData (Where "N" is some number) Inside this folder are files that start with “Envelope Index” that store all your mailbox data, among other things.

Quit Mail, then delete all the files in this folder that start with "Envelope Index." (several possibilities: Envelope Index, Envelope Index-shm, and Envelope Index-wal, others possible); Once deleted, relaunch Mail and the file(s) will be rebuilt, along with your mailboxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.