Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,172 Posts
Bummer!!!

As a 'golden' senior I won't be going "Back to School", but a similar aged Mac friend did so a few years ago to finnish his UVIC history major and took advantage of the old and good "Back to School" Apple special that saved him $$$ on his fixed income to get a newer Mac he could just afford.

Unfortunately he passed away last year but at least he was able to afford and enjoy using his MUCH newer Mac with the "Back to School" special that was offered with a decent $$ saving. And I doubt that he would have been able to afford doing so with the latest Apple offer mentioned.

It sounds like the Apple bean counter accountants are messing up some of the good times. :-(

Oopps. I forgot, accountants don't seem to have or enjoy any 'good times' — like take a break and enjoy a Canadian beer eh!!! And maybe a new mac??

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
You may also want to check for the $100 educational discount and $100 free printer rebate they used to give in addition to the free iPod Touch rebate.

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
Apple's 2011 Back to School Program Launched in Canada

The much anticipated yearly "Back to School" specially by Apple (Even though kids are barely getting out of school now), has been launched today in Canada.

Apple Canada's website introduces the deal by saying, "When you buy a new qualifying Mac with Apple education pricing* from June 16, 2011, through September 20, 2011, you’ll get a $100 Back to School Card to use on the Mac App Store, the App Store, the iTunes Store, and the iBookstore."

The site goes on to state who qualifies in Canada:

Who qualifies?

• Post-secondary students, or students accepted into post-secondary institutions
  • Parents buying for post-secondary students, or students accepted into post-secondary institutions
  • Faculty or staff members at any grade level

A link is provided with full terms and conditions.

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
Apple is only offering $100 credits for the Mac App store this year. As in, no free iPod Touch. $300 became $100.
Does seem anti-climatic compared to previous years.

I do think the perpetual free iPad touch was getting a little stale, but this seems to be a fair bit less of a deal with the perceived value of an iPod touch being around $250.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So very lame and uninspired.

It is easy to forget that Apple isn't obligated to lower prices, or offer sweet hardware incentives to part us from our back-to-school computer purchasing dollars - but I must admit, I am more than a little underwhelmed by this token (almost a coupon) promotion.

I suppose what galls me is that I was actually expecting more. Expectations are funny that way - I mean, you have no right to be put out when they fail to materialize, and yet because you invested yourself on some emotional level, you feel ripped off later - not because anyone is ripping you off, but because your expectations were so intense that they created in you a sense of obligation on Apple's part, and when Apple failed to live up to that, you feel like they dropped the ball.

We're funny creatures.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
Essentially though you could spend $1249 new and get nothing extra, spend $1149 on a education model and get $100 for iTunes or spend $1049 and get the refurb and spend the savings anyway you want...either way you end up with the same machine.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Bummer!!!

As a 'golden' senior I won't be going "Back to School", but a similar aged Mac friend did so a few years ago to finnish his UVIC history major and took advantage of the old and good "Back to School" Apple special that saved him $$$ on his fixed income to get a newer Mac he could just afford.

Unfortunately he passed away last year but at least he was able to afford and enjoy using his MUCH newer Mac with the "Back to School" special that was offered with a decent $$ saving. And I doubt that he would have been able to afford doing so with the latest Apple offer mentioned.
What are you talking about? How is getting an iPod Touch for free in previous years relevant to someone buying a Mac with an educational discount who is on a fixed income?

This year, there's no free iPod Touch, but the educational pricing still applies to all Macs...

In short: Free iPod Touch = replaced with $100 in App Store credits.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
Also just to add... $100 of downloadable apps costs Apple $0 (maybe a couple of bucks in licensing fees) where at least an iPod cost them something....

This is really, really, really cheap on their part when they are experiencing record profits.

REALLY CHEAP.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I wonder if they will notice a decline in back to school sales compared to previous years? I know for me, the draw would have been (If I was a student) getting an iPod touch as well, so 2 gadgets (MacBook and iTouch). The idea of $100 for software just doesn't seem all that exciting.

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
Also just to add... $100 of downloadable apps costs Apple $0 (maybe a couple of bucks in licensing fees) where at least an iPod cost them something....

This is really, really, really cheap on their part when they are experiencing record profits.

REALLY CHEAP.
Not quite $0. But $70 when you consider they get their 30% cut from the sales on the App Store. That $70 goes to app developers.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps the sale of the iPod Touch was relevant to his fixed income.

What are you talking about? How is getting an iPod Touch for free in previous years relevant to someone buying a Mac with an educational discount who is on a fixed income?

This year, there's no free iPod Touch, but the educational pricing still applies to all Macs...

In short: Free iPod Touch = replaced with $100 in App Store credits.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Seems like Apple is getting cocky. This is going to be an interesting test of Apple's "brand" vs their "incentive". With Microsoft giving a free Xbox 360 as a back to school promotion, I wonder if more students will consider a PC now instead of a Mac.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out for Apple and MS.

A7

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm with doulogos... Shame on you guys for being upset with apple over this.. They in NO WAY are obligated to even give you the $100 gift card, but they do.. Yes, the iPod Touch was a nice bonus, but they didn't HAVE to give it to you.. They just did.. So why get mad when they stop.. I guess that has to do with today's society feeling like they are owed something.. It's disgusting really..

As for the Microsoft xbox giveaway.. The reality is, even if apple was giving away the iPod. The xbox is a much sweeter deal if you are into gaming.. So chances are, if you're a gamer, you were going to go with Microsoft REGARDLESS of the iPod touch vs $100.. Personally, I'm not into gaming, so I'm not at all tempted to get their deal

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Responses have ranged from disappointment, frustration, indifference, 'upset.' I haven't seen any 'blind rage' or 'horror.'

You can be 'disgusted' but it's the same kind of over-reaction you pretend to be exposing.

I'm with doulogos... Shame on you guys for being upset with apple over this.. They in NO WAY are obligated to even give you the $100 gift card, but they do.. Yes, the iPod Touch was a nice bonus, but they didn't HAVE to give it to you.. They just did.. So why get mad when they stop.. I guess that has to do with today's society feeling like they are owed something.. It's disgusting really..

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which generation? Seniors?

pretend to be exposing? I think not.. I'm genuinely disgusted with the fact that people are mad at apple over this.. It's ridiculous and selfish and makes me sigh for this generation

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
How is this an epic fail? I think that even though getting a free iPod Touch would be nice, it is not an epic fail to get a 100$ gift card. Besides, I think some of you might be cheap because you now only get a 100$ gift card. You should be grateful your still getting something extra for being a collage or university student. For me, I would of used the 100$ for a Lion upgrade, and probably a good amount of decent games. In fact, I would have been happier if I got the 100$ gift card... LOL :D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.