Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you noticed that Apple?s website now recognizes your browser...so long as you are a Safari user? When you go to www.apple.com a small Safari icon appears in the top-left corner with the message "welcome Safari user" wrapped around the icon. It ain't major, stop-the-presses news...but still worth a mention.

Obviously I rushed to see if the icon appeared when browsing the site with IE...no dice. This is a neat little way to thank users for downloading the new browser! ;) :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
i saw that too. very cute, and a nice little thanks from apple. :D

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bjornbro:
Safari downloads have now topped 1.1 million! Yay Mac!<HR></blockquote>

Hello,

That's downloads, not users. I downloaded it twice as I deleted it early without giving it a fair shot. So, I tried it again, and I'm still not using it.

It is nice to see the interest in the browser, though. I just wonder if it will kill any other browser that is not IE or Nutscrape?

James

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, I've Downloaded it more than once (with 4 machines at work to maintain and a home machine, it's becoming the Browser of Choice for Adobe Mac Users...)

So indeed, 1.1 million downloads won't necessarily equal 1.1 million users, but since I copied ot over to 3 other machines directly at work as well, the chances of multiple users sharing in the value of a single download are possible too. So it's not a bad estimate!

And it's pretty kick-ass.

Will it replace IE? For most I say it already has. And if the rumours of MS stopping IE development are true, well, it won't kill it, it will seemlessly move into the vacancy left behind...

:cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Goodbye IE!!!!

It's been so-so knowing you, when you were the first OS X compatible browser. And the only reason I keep you around is for one website that won't work with Safari - but it's out of the dock now!

See yah!

John

PS: Notice that the "Welcome Safari user" doesn't show up at Apple Canada's site. Whahhhhh!

PPS: Notice that the store has changed the 'order history' page. Neat!

Edit: Doh! Can't type!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
As much as I like Safari (It is crazy fast) I am still using Chimera as my browser until a few things get cleared up. Probably though, I'll be using them both for a while to come.

I am waiting for version 1.0 of both of them before I decide for good.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Of course, everybody knows that every webpage knows what browser is being used, right?

Some examples (in this case, for Mozilla/Netscape):

Mozilla/5.001 (windows; U; NT4.0; en-us) Gecko/25250101

... which tells a site that this user is running Mozilla 5 on a Windows NT v4.0 system; the browser has strong security ability; the user has configured his system to use US English.

Some other examples, taken from a log at a website:

Opera/7.0 (Windows XP; U)  [en]
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98) Opera 5.02  [nl]
Opera/6.11 (Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686; U)  [en]
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.2; Mac_PowerPC) OmniWeb/4.1.1-v424.1
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; AOL 7.0; Windows 98; Compaq)
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; Cox High Speed Internet Customer)
Mozilla/4.76 [en] (X11; U; SunOS 5.7 sun4m)
Mozilla/4.78 [de]C-NNav478ge   (WinNT; U) WebWasher EE 3.4
Mozilla/4.79C-SGI [en] (X11; I; IRIX64 6.5 IP28)
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/2.1.1; X11; MSIE 5.0 compatible)
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/2.2.2; Linux) LindowsOS (Lindows.com, Inc.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Darwin Power Macintosh; en-US; rv:0.9.9+) Gecko/20020223

And a typical Safari users tag:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/51 (like Gecko) Safari/51

1 - 8 of 8 Posts