Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Wow, I'm pretty impressed! ;)

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
That's very interesting, and great news. But at the educational institution where I work, Apple computers have systematically been eliminated, and replaced by PC systems, mostly Dell. There are still a few departments that insist on remaining on Macs, but they're few and far between and under pressure to convert.

Years ago the former head of the computing services area recommended Macs across the board, in every department, citing ease of use and maintenance. However his Dellophile successor put an end to all that as soon as he took office. Sad.

[ November 07, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Doug Gardhouse ]

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harumph! "systematic" is usually the way any type of genocide happens. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Haven't read the article yet but I too have watched our school computer labs with a sad eye. When my kids started at their school there was at least a Mac or two in most classrooms as well a PC/Mac lab. The lab was updated (because of the crappy quality and bugginess of the PCs, the Macs worked fine even though they were quite old) and all the Macs in the school were removed. Dell won the day.

Even the tech group doing the new lab install wished they were putting in new Macs. Then Apple brought out the eMac. Two months earlier and things could have been quite different. Even now, with a computer lab less than one year old, whenever I walk by the lab there is al least one blue screen (usually two or three).

The biggest problem is that once the PC is in, it's almost impossible to get out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts