Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beaugeste
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Iphone reviews, it seems there's a # of options left out that could have been put in, options or features that other phones have and that seem most would want or use. I don't have the list here but it's been all over the reviews (PC magazine,ect) . If I recall correctly, Macs and the Ipods have also been put on the market with some simple features not included. Is this simple marketing, where we'll buy so many millions and then the new models have it all or just oversight or lack of good judgment on Apple's part...?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
As far as I've read -- Apple seems to put in the features it thinks people want.

Lots of criticism of the iPod focussed on lack of FM Radio and such, and Jobs has just said that he doesn't think the majority of people out there will use it.

Apple also focusses on Simplicity in Design and use. So they don't want a billion features on every device, half of which people will never use. Even Microsoft is wising up to this method of thinking -- the new Office 2007 was designed not with lots of new features -- but with making the already included features easier to use.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I listen to FM radio via the Apple FM remote once in awhile if I get bored of the songs on my iPod, I just think of it as a $60 remote with a bonus FM tuner built in. Otherwise, I don't think the typical person listens to FM radio so why add $10-20 to the retail price of the iPod to put it in?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Apple also announced that they are reporting earnings for the phone over a 2 year period. The significants of this is that Apple will release firmware/software updates for the phone and add new features. Also, with the iPhone not having any real buttons, this makes adding new features much easier. That is great in my opinion. You won't have to consider selling your iPhone to get the new one... you just update your current phone to get all the new features.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I don't think the typical person listens to FM radio so why add $10-20 to the retail price of the iPod to put it in?
I'm not so sure about that. It's difficult to gauge what a "typical" person wants/requires. For instance, I enjoy listening to talk radio from time to time.
So personally, I'd pay extra for that feature (especially if it also included AM).

I think Apple listens to user requests, but don't necessarily act on all fronts. Just look at the lack of a low end MacPro tower. ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Apple also focusses on Simplicity in Design and use. So they don't want a billion features on every device, half of which people will never use.
Being cynical, I would say that one of the driving reasons why Apple concentrates on simplicity in design (in addition to the aesthetic benefits,) is that this allows a great business opportunity for further revenue generation through incremental top-up accessories. (For example - people swoon as Steve announces an FM radio tuner for iPods, while Creative gives it away for free.)

I'm a fan of the Apple brand, for sure, but I am growing wise on their marketing tactics.

If Apple included absolutely everything in the iPhone, how would they get you to buy the iPhone v.2 next year?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Being cynical, I would say that one of the driving reasons why Apple concentrates on simplicity in design (in addition to the aesthetic benefits,) is that this allows a great business opportunity for further revenue generation through incremental top-up accessories. (For example - people swoon as Steve announces an FM radio tuner for iPods, while Creative gives it away for free.)
It also has something to do with supporting the Multi-Billion Dollar iPod Accessory market.

Every time Apple adds a feature to the iPod, it renders some poor business (or businesses) obsolete. Apple knows there's a huge eco-system built around the iPod and these people's products help promote the iPod even further.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. It's difficult to gauge what a "typical" person wants/requires. For instance, I enjoy listening to talk radio from time to time.
It's not really difficult at all. That's a key role of the marketing people, who research these things before and after a product's launch. It's also not zero sum, in that people either want a radio (for example) or do not: it's more about what percentage of time people would use the radio on an iPod.

At 100 million units it seems Apple did a reasonable job on the marketing, and have catered to the rest through add-ons. Other MP3 player makers have included the radio which it seems is rarely used - so they have a long feature list, which looks good on paper but is not what the market wants. Sales are lower and margins are lower.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In fact, it's ultimately even simpler than that.... Apple simply needs to determine whether the lack of a given feature is actually a deal-breaker... Sure, there may be lots of people who would want an FM radio on their iPod, and might even use one, but how many of those people would not buy an iPod (ie, buy something else instead), just because it lacks this feature.

Adding features costs money in terms of R&D and in terms of after-market support. If Apple can exclude a feature and still sell just as many iPods, why would they bother spending the time and effort to include it?

Further, Apple's design philosophy has always leaned toward the "less is more" way of thinking, or as the old maxim says, "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Personally, I had the FM Radio remote for my Creative ZEN Jukebox four years ago, and I have the FM Radio remote for my 5G iPod. Neither of these have ever gotten much use for the FM features beyond some initial toying around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts