Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple sure seems to be working overtime for the past 6 months.

This could be good or bad.

It definately keeps them in the news.

It sure makes it a little difficult to keep up to the changes in such a short time. For a new user they don;t keep up on all the updates and it takes a while to get in the groove and understand hardware and software changes.

Here is a short list just off the top of my head:

For the past 6 months (August 2002)

Software:
10.2 Jaguar has had 4 small updtaes 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.2.3 and now 10.2.4

"Security Update 2002-08-23" (1.0)
"iTunes" (3.0.1)
"Mac OS X Update" (10.2.1)
"Security Update 2002-09-20" (1.0)
"AirPort Software" (2.1.1)
"Mac OS X Update" (10.2.2)
"Backup" (1.2.1)
"Security Update 2002-11-21" (1.0)
"Carbon Sound Manager Update" (6.0.2)
"iPod Software" (1.2.1)
"Mac OS X Update" (10.2.3)
"QuickTime" (6.1)
"iMovie" (3.0.1)
"iPhoto" (3.0)
"Safari Update 2-12-03" (1.0 Beta (v60))
"Mac OS X Update" (10.2.4)

Plus the introduction of:
Keynote
Final Cut Express
iLife (iDVD)

Updates to Hardware:
In the past six months everything but iBooks have been updated TWICE.....

Introduction of new Powerbooks

We now have DDR memory and normal memory.

Dual processors and single processors.

Airport was updated. (Extreme)

Still no two button mouse though........

Add to the list if you see something missing.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Heart, do you think it might be that they now have a stable OS (unlike OS 10.0) and can now concentrate on other products which will utilize the new technology to the max.
I think the days of large upgrades are over. Too long a time span between upgrades. Technology no longer waits for anything.(neither do we-sadly)
I think this is what eventually will kill Quark. Playing by the old rules in a totally new ballgame.
Beside which, small upgrades are easier to tweek or fix by Apple.
deep breath now,
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small upgrades I like....

But for the new user it is confusing..

An example, I have a client that purchased 10.2 yesterday, they have a dial up connection and was reluctant because he new that to get it to 10.2.3 he had to download the Update (Combo Update) and it was a 60MB download.

Just imagine what he will think when he sees the 40MB download for 10.2.4 :rolleyes:

Not to mention any of the other items on the list.

This lead to confusion for the new user. And with all the Switchers out there discouragement comes easy.

"Everythings Easier on a Mac"

---
Don't get me wrong, I am an update junky. Give 'em to me now and keep 'em coming, even a Public Beta.....

I just see this to be one of the emerging downfalls of this kind of pace being set.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Still, just think of the non-event if Dell was going to discontinue one of their desktops. Or think of the excitement Dell users experience when they wait with "baited breath" for the new Dell line of desktop and/or laptop. Yes, Apple has been quite busy of late, innovative as always, and someday soon they shall have this "prodigal son" returning to the "fold". :D

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Heart, I hear what you are saying. I think there are enough people out there who have copies of the updates on backup cds that this won't be that big a problem. Could you not have a cd to lend out that has all the updates? I just made a new one today which includes OS9.2, OS9.2.2 updates, all OS10.1 updates, all 10.2 updates, all appleworks 6 updates, and all adobe X updates to Illustrator and photoshop.
Also, dsl and high speed connections are becoming the norm. I can't imagine not having an open phone line when being on-line now.
Just some thoughts,
Robert

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Do MacWorld or MacAddict, sell CDs with their mags anymore? That's how I used to get the updates before I had cable access. Yes, it takes a month or two to get it, but you don't have to upgrade right away anyways.

I don't think I'd mind burning updates to a CD for a buddy, either.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Kosh, yes they both sell mags/cd together. I don't recall any OS updates on the cds though. They do have updates on the disc but I think for apps only.
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apple has not let the magazines put updates on their CD's for a little while now. I think it was back when they wanted to put 8.6.1 or maybe 9.1 and Apple said NO.

So now the push is on to go High-Speed or go home. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts