Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not how I wanted to come back, but...

They knew what they were doing because they removed the SIM card immediately, so I couldn't track it with Mobile Me. Next time I'll use another app that doesn't depend on the SIM.

So if someone offers to sell you an Apple iPhone 4 black 32GB with serial number 84038SS1A4T, get me their information please since they stole it. Was in a blue gel case with PowerSupport screen cover.

Rogers and Apple have been notified. That's about all I can do now except for the one in a million that someone about to buy a used (but immaculate) iPhone will search the web for the serial number and find this thread. (Registering here to private-message me is free!)

Remote wiped; burned the SIM via Rogers although that was probably thrown away in an instant.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Sorry your phone was stolen.

MobileMe doesn't depend on the SIM at all - as long as the phone has data (WiFi or cellular), it'll update the service. You may still have luck locating it, if you haven't done a remote wipe already.

Also, if Rogers knows it's a stolen phone, then they can blacklist the IMEI it from the network. Not to say someone won't unlock it and use it with Telus or Bell, but it's a start.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info about remote access.

Rogers only blacklists IMEIs of cell phones stolen from its stores.

Since the phone hasn't shown up at all, I'm wondering if someone has done a restore and if that cancels remote access/notices/wipe.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Doing a restore would kill MobileMe, yeah.

I'm surprised Rogers won't blacklist a stolen IMEI - I could have sworn they did that in the past.

G

·
Apple "live chat" says SIM card is required for remote text pop-up, sound, wipe, tracking.
Yep. No SIM card no cellular network connection. No cellular network connection, no text popups or wiping would be possible as there's no way to communicate with the phone. :(

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a 'moderately happy under the circumstances' update--no return of the stolen phone, of course, but I called Rogers to see if there was any activity on the account in the window between the phone being stolen and the SIM being burned. No outgoing calls but the first rep was confused so I asked for Customer Relations (where the power is, people). Relations heard the story and offered me an "early upgrade" (I had never purchased hardware on the account before, it was a transfer from someone else) for the new customer price of $299+taxes. I had to re-up for 3 years, which wasn't a problem. Problem may be the stated 4 week backorder waiting period, but it's a saving from the regular price of $779.00 + $101.27 = $880.27 (or taking my chances on craigslist etc.).

Does anyone want to sell me an extra PowerSupport Anti-Glare iPhone 4 screen protector?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Here's a 'moderately happy under the circumstances' update--no return of the stolen phone, of course, but I called Rogers to see if there was any activity on the account in the window between the phone being stolen and the SIM being burned. No outgoing calls but the first rep was confused so I asked for Customer Relations (where the power is, people). Relations heard the story and offered me an "early upgrade" (I had never purchased hardware on the account before, it was a transfer from someone else) for the new customer price of $299+taxes. I had to re-up for 3 years, which wasn't a problem. Problem may be the stated 4 week backorder waiting period, but it's a saving from the regular price of $779.00 + $101.27 = $880.27 (or taking my chances on craigslist etc.).

Does anyone want to sell me an extra PowerSupport Anti-Glare iPhone 4 screen protector?
Will keep my eye out for it and my ear to the ground as well.

Great to see you post back here HowEver, but sorry it's under these circumstances. :(

Hope to see you stay around. If I buy you a PowerSupport Anti-Glare iPhone 4 screen protector as a "Please be my friend again" gift, will you stay around? :)

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As always, the Mayor shows that he is a kind and generous person who has run this site fairly, and with only the best intentions. It is genuinely a Canadian forum.

I'll take you up on your kind offer--and donate the same amount to your Kiva lending fund.

Thank you.

Will keep my eye out for it and my ear to the ground as well.

Great to see you post back here HowEver, but sorry it's under these circumstances. :(

Hope to see you stay around. If I buy you a PowerSupport Anti-Glare iPhone 4 screen protector as a "Please be my friend again" gift, will you stay around? :)

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
As always, the Mayor shows that he is a kind and generous person who has run this site fairly, and with only the best intentions. It is genuinely a Canadian forum.

I'll take you up on your kind offer--and donate the same amount to your Kiva lending fund.

Thank you.
:) :) :) :) :) :clap:

PM Me you address, (And maybe a link to the exact iPhone screen you were looking at) and I'll get er ordered up!

·
Registered
275 Posts
When was this iPhone stolen?

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune,
Glad to hear things are looking up regardless of the setback.

Maybe you should get a case that makes your phone more unattractive,
I have an Otterbox Defender on my iPhone and believe me...It's ugly.

But I like the feel of it and most people don't realize that it is an iPhone.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Interesting case idea.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune,
Glad to hear things are looking up regardless of the setback.

Maybe you should get a case that makes your phone more unattractive,

·
Registered
275 Posts
I checked Craigslist and emailed a few sellers asking about the serial; no match so far. Make sure to try Kijiji as well. How did the robber manage to steal the phone anyway? Was it more of a mugging or a burglary? Did you check to see what other valuables were stolen as well?

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rogers has now blacklisted this phone's IMEI, so it will not work on Rogers and potentially they may share with information with EIR so it may not work elsewhere.

Should the thief or thief's buyer take my phone to be serviced as a result (or for any reason), Rogers won't help them since the phone's warranty has been cancelled. I don't know if they'll do anything else with the person.

As above, if they take the phone to Apple, Apple might service the phone but will notify me.

I recommend 2 apps to you, in addition to properly using (which I did) Apple's "Find My iPhone" feature, which is now FREE:
Apple - MobileMe - Find your iPhone or iPad.

Gotcha! Pro ($3.99)
Gotcha! Pro Alarm System for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Device Locator ($4.99)
Device Locator: Track and Locate Your Lost or Stolen iPhone + Google Latitude Integration for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

These apps are available in the iTunes store, with direct links above. They do not require jailbreaking.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Rogers has now blacklisted this phone's IMEI, so it will not work on Rogers and potentially they may share with information with EIR so it may not work elsewhere.

Should the thief or thief's buyer take my phone to be serviced as a result (or for any reason), Rogers won't help them since the phone's warranty has been cancelled. I don't know if they'll do anything else with the person.

As above, if they take the phone to Apple, Apple might service the phone but will notify me.
This is good news. Keep us updated if there are any developments.

·
Registered
115 Posts

same..........although i got mine in order to prevent it from breaking if dropped but it is one ugly case

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had Device Locator b ut deleted it as it really drains ur battery.........i found i just didn't want keep it on all of the time on the off chance i might lose it at some point..........i didn't feel that it was worth it for the decrease in batt life

r u not finding it does that to yours?

Trying out Gotcha now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts